NASHVILLE -- Random thoughts rolling through my head my while waiting for Georgia to open play in the SEC tournament:
• Once more, with feeling: There was a case for firing Georgia coach Mark Fox. There also was a case for keeping him another year. That's why I didn't take a position, either way. But there should be NO QUESTION that there is a mandate for success next season -- and by success I mean at the very least an NCAA tournament berth.
I asked Fox about his feelings about the state of the program and this was his response: "I hate to talk about next season because we’re still playing for something. But we do have a lot of returning pieces and more talent coming in and we feel like we’ll have a very good team."
You can read more in this column: Georgia extends Mark Fox a lifeline -- the rest is up to him.
• Bad signs on Devonta Freeman front: No, I do not believe the Falcons are going to trade running back Devonta Freeman, nor do I think they will even entertain the thought. The only reason I even mention that possibility is because of this Tweet from his long-time pal, rapper Luther Campbell. Freeman is a product of Campbell's inner-city youth program in Miami and the husband of Freeman's agent, Kristin Thompson.
"Uncle Luke" is standing up for his guy. I get that. And he probably believes he's doing the right thing by making a stir now, just like Kristin Campbell thought it might have been the right thing to tell NFL.com the week of the Super Bowl, "It's time for the Falcons to pay him like the elite back he is."
But this is not a smart way to conduct a negotiation. The Super Bowl week comment was an unnecessary, even if minor, distraction leading up to the game, and Campbell's series of Tweets now are not doing the situation any good.
Freeman deserves a healthy and lucrative extension. He has been underpaid relative to his production and status on the team. His rookie contract after being drafted in the fourth round: four years, $2.704 million, including leap in base for next season from $600,000 to $1.797 million. He deserves more and will get more.
Freeman is not going anywhere. But this has the potential to get ugly. I don't blame the Falcons for the slow/non-existent pace of negotiations because there's a relative order to the offseason that maybe the Campbell's don't understand. Getting deals done with Desmond Trufant and Matt Schaub (an unrestricted free agent), as well as other unrestricted free agents and draft preparation, take a certain priority over Freeman because he is signed for next year.
But the backdrop of this situation suggests this will not be an easy deal for the Falcons to get done. Freeman is a great and humble person, but I've seen many situations when athletes are somewhat manipulated by the actions and comments of family, friends and agents. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell believe they are acting in Freeman's best interests but they are not helping the situation.
• Hello, Connor Barwin? Edge rusher Connor Barwin, just released by Philadelphia, has not yet been referenced as a potential Falcons' target but maybe he should be. First, there was this selfie of him and his fiance snapped during the Super Bowl: Barwin is wearing a Falcons' T-shirt. Second: He's still pretty solid. The Falcons need another pass rusher -- who doesn't? -- and there might be other less expensive options out there but they could do worse than Barwin.
Subscribe to the, “We Never Played The Game” podcast with the AJC's Jeff Schultz and WSB’s Zach Klein on iTunes.
- Georgia extends Mark Fox's lifeline -- the rest is up to him
- Did Greg McGarity just guarantee Mark Fox is coming back?
- Howard is a problem but Schroder is Hawks' biggest concern right now
- How They Really Stand,' from Falcons to ... what happened to Dream star?
- Atlanta United gives impression soccer may work this time
- Podcast blog: United's Darren Eales on WVA, Brown, soccer in Atlanta
- Dansby Swanson exudes leadership potential that Braves' need
- Aaron Blair's first outing: bad starts, good finishes -- so that's progress
- Ron Washington making most of chance after life nearly derailed
- Reality of Braves' managing job still sinking in for Brian Snitker
- Hawks in danger of missing playoffs -- and would that be a bad thing?
- Ex-Dog Sanders Commings now trying baseball career with Braves
- Podcast blog: Collective Soul's Ed Roland on music, sports and Super Bowl pain
- Hawks' play will have to scream loud to get anybody's attention
- So Ole Miss wants us to believe Hugh Freeze knew nothing about infractions?
- For the first time, Mark Fox's job should be questioned at Georgia
- Pastner should be ACC coach of year (and a look at other state teams)
- Tech scores another upset, and tournament chances are real
- Keeping these Hawks together at deadline makes little sense
- Podcast blog: Roddy White dishes on Falcons, Super Bowl, blackjack
- Roddy White sounds off on Super Bowl and lost Las Vegas weekend
- John Coppolella says Braves will be better -- but how should we define that?
- How many games will Braves win? Casino over/under set at only 71.5
- Pastner, Fox both big stories this season -- one for the wrong reasons
- If Steve Sarkisian takes care of himself, he'll take care of Falcons offense