Seahawks being investigated by NFL for handling of Russell Wilson


The NFL is investigating the Seattle Seahawks for a potential violation of the league’s concussion protocol with quarterback Russell Wilson on Thursday night, according to a report from ESPN’s Adam Schefter.

Wilson took a massive shot to the head and neck area against the Arizona Cardinals on Thursday Night Football. He tried making the case that he wasn’t concussed to Walt Anderson, but Anderson sent him off for an evaluation from the independent neurologist.

However, Wilson didn’t appear to ever check in with the neurologist. Traditionally those checks are handled in the blue tent on the sidelines, but Wilson was caught on camera going into the tent by himself and emerging seconds later before re-entering the game. Nobody else entered the tent with him to perform the test during that time.

Russell Wilson sent off after taking hit to the chin for concussion check, ducked in the tent then sent right back out pic.twitter.com/8HXvKOGNuG

— That Dude (@cjzer0) November 10, 2017

The NFL is now investigating that matter and if they determine that the protocol was skirted, the Seahawks would be subject to discipline from the league. Even if Wilson wasn’t concussed on the play in question, those protocols are in place as a safeguard against players who have suffered head trauma from trying to stay in the game and putting themselves at risk.

The maximum fine the NFL can hand down for violating the concussion protocol is $150,000.

The post Seahawks being investigated by NFL for handling of Russell Wilson appeared first on All 22.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Atlanta Falcons

Several Falcons planning ahead for life after the NFL 
Several Falcons planning ahead for life after the NFL 

A few years back, Atlanta Falcons Kevin Cone and Stephen Nicholas walked into Kevin Winston’s office in Flowery Branch. They wanted to make plans for the post-NFL careers.  Winston, the team’s senior director of player affairs, coordinates the team’s Falcons University program, which encourages players to consider life after...
Roberts plans to become free agent for third consecutive offseason 
Roberts plans to become free agent for third consecutive offseason 

Falcons returner Andre Roberts hopes to return to the team, but suspects he’ll likely become a free agent March 14.  “I believe I will be a free agent this year,” Roberts told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Thursday. “Just like last year and the year before that. I’m understanding of it.” Roberts, 30,...
Weatherspoon wants to return to the Falcons 
Weatherspoon wants to return to the Falcons 

Sean Weatherspoon, a first-round draft pick of the Falcons in 2010 who was a reserve linebacker last season, is not ready to retire. “Yes, indeed,” Weatherspon said when asked if wanted to keep playing. “I’m 30, so I’m not ready (to retire) yet.” Weatherspoon played only 27 snaps last season and was insurance behind...
Five players on Falcons’ radar at NFL Scouting Combine
Five players on Falcons’ radar at NFL Scouting Combine

The Falcons need help along the offensive and defensive lines. They’ve previously used the draft and free agency to develop both lines and that won’t change this offseason. When the Falcons’ personnel executives, coaches and scouts attend the NFL Scouting Combine, Tuesday through March 5 at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, they&rsquo...
Kiper Tweetcap: Wynn could start for Falcons 
Kiper Tweetcap: Wynn could start for Falcons 
ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. held a conference call with the national media on Wednesday. He believes that former Georgia offensive lineman Isaiah Wynn could be an immediate starter for the Falcons, who hold the 26th overall pick in the upcoming NFL draft. Here are some tweets from the call:  <div></div><br><blockquote...
More Stories