- By David Wellham The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Georgia came out of the December early signing period ranked No. 1 in the country among recruiting classes.
After reaching the College Football Playoff Championship game, the Bulldogs added six players Wednesday to strengthen their class and keep the top spot.
Here are seven things to know about the 2018 class:
1. They signed 26 players from eight states. Here’s the breakdown: Georgia (15), Florida (4), North Carolina (2), Illinois (1), Oklahoma (1), South Carolina (1), Tennessee (1), Texas (1).
2. Georgia signed seven 5-star players in the 247Sports composite rankings: Justin Fields, Zamir White, Jamaree Salyer, Adam Anderson, Tyson Campbell, Brenton Cox and Cade Mays. The list grows by one when you include James Cook, rated a 5-star by Rivals.
3. Using those composite rankings, Georgia signed three of the overall top 10 high school prospects, 10 of the top 51 and 12 of the top 87. They also landed the No. 5 junior college prospect.
4. Among the positional rankings, the Bulldogs signed 15 high school players ranked in the top five at his position: four ranked No. 1 (Justin Fields, Zamir White, Jamaree Salyer, Adam Anderson), four ranked No. 2 (Tyson Campbell, Brenton Cox, Quay Walker, Jake Camarda), four ranked No. 3 (Cade Mays, James Cook, Luke Ford, Trey Hill) and three ranked No. 5 (Otis Reese, Channing Tindall, Warren Ericson). Also, junior college signee Devonte Wyatt was ranked No. 2 among defensive tackles.
5. The Bulldogs signed 20 players in December. Nine of the those players enrolled in January, and eight will take part in spring practice. The eight are QB Justin Fields, OL Cade Mays, OLB Brenton Cox, OL Trey Hill, WR Kearis Jackson, DB Divaad Wilson, OL Warren Ericson and DL Devonte Wyatt. Zamir White, the nation’s top-rated running back, enrolled early, but he is recovering from a torn ACL suffered last season.
6. Georgia signed the top two outside linebackers (No. 1 Adam Anderson and No. 2 Quay Walker). In addition, Georgia listed Brenton Cox (No. 2 strongside defensive end) and Azeez Ojulari (No. 10 weakside defensive end) as outside linebackers when they signed in December.
7. The Dogs added another massive haul of offensive lineman. They signed the nation’s No. 1 guard (Jamaree Salyer), the No. 3 guard (Trey Hill), the No. 3 offensive tackle (Cade Mays) and the No. 5 center (Warren Ericson).