COLUMBIA, S.C. — Georgia tailback Elijah Holyfield conceded it was a “Statement Game” at South Carolina — but not for the Bulldogs.
“It’s a statement to everyone else, we already knew what we had,” Holyfield said. “We were very confident in what we had, and we were confident coming into the season.”
True enough, the Bulldogs took the pregame buildup to their 41-17 victory over the Gamecocks in stride, not biting on bulletin board material, not breathlessly discussing the matchup.
As DawgNation reported throughout the game week, it was very much business as usual in Athens.
Then Saturday, Georgia took care of business, jumping to a 14-0 lead, taking a 20-10 edge into the half, and then pressing down the accelerator in a 21-0 third quarter.
Georgia football game notes
• Georgia is now 1-5 against South Carolina in Williams-Brice Stadium when the Gamecocks are ranked, spoiling one of the most overused rationales some had for picking an upset.
• The 41 points are the most the Bulldogs have ever scored in the series, which qualifies as a fringe rivalry. Georgia leads the all-time series 51-18-2 and has won the past four meetings. A Twitter poll revealed 53 percent rank it fifth among the Bulldogs rivalries — and only 18 percent rank it among the top three.
Where does the South Carolina “rivalry” rank for Georgia? Others to consider: Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Alabama, Clemson
— Mike Griffith (@MikeGriffith32) September 6, 2018
• Mecole Hardman is the first Georgia receiver to post a 100-yard game since Isaiah McKenzie in the 2016 Liberty Bowl win over TCU.
“It’s the trust Coach [Jim] Chaney has in us on the perimeter with blocking and receiving , and the great faith in Jake [Fromm] to make the throws he needed to make,” Hardman said, “and we have two or three horses back there in the backfield, and I think we’re an overall balanced team.”
• Elijah Holyfield rushed for a career-high 76 yards with a career-high nine carries, leading the Bulldogs’ rushing attack.
• Rodrigo Blankenship has been perfect through two games, now 3-for-3 on field goals while burying all 14 of his kickoffs into the end zone for touchbacks.
Georgia football game coverage
The post Georgia football things to know: ‘Statement Game’ for others, not Bulldogs appeared first on DawgNation.