Braves CEO apologizes to fans before introducing new GM


The Braves held a news conference Monday afternoon at SunTrust Park to introduce their new general manager, Alex Anthopoulos. But that was not the first order of business for a franchise rocked by a rule-breaking scandal.

“Before I introduce our new executive today, I’d like to take a moment to address our fans,” Braves Chairman and CEO Terry McGuirk said. “The past few months have been the toughest in the storied history of the Atlanta Braves franchise. Frankly, the Braves have not lived up to our standard that the fans expect of us and what we expect of ourselves.

“On behalf of the entire Braves family, I want to apologize to the fans and our partners. We have let you down, and we will work to regain your trust, which actually begins today with this announcement.” 

Then McGuirk welcomed Anthopoulos, the former Toronto Blue Jays general manager, who agreed to a four-year contract to become the Braves’ GM and executive vice president.

McGuirk said Anthopoulos, 40, will have “full control of the baseball side of the operation” and report directly to McGuirk. 

John Hart, who had been the Braves’ president of baseball operations, will relinquish that position and become a senior advisor, effective immediately, McGuirk said. Hart “will not be involved in the daily operations of the baseball side of the business,” McGuirk said. 

The announcements – and apology – came exactly six weeks after former general manager John Coppolella resigned amid an MLB investigation of alleged violations by the Braves of player procurement rules.

MLB still hasn’t announced its findings and what penalties commissioner Rob Manfred will levy against the Braves. 

“I talked to the commissioner (Monday) morning,” McGuirk said. “He told me that the investigation has been completed for some time and that he will be back to us advising us of what penalties will be accorded to us in the near future.”

Asked to define “near future,” McGuirk said: “I think we’re talking within two weeks.”

Anthopoulos becomes the Braves’ 12th general manager since the team moved to Atlanta in 1966 and their third since John Schuerholz stepped down from the position after the 2007 season.

At Monday’s news conference, Anthopoulos expressed much enthusiasm about his new job -- a welcomed contrast to the gloom that has hung over the franchise for more than a month.

“The opportunity here, the upside, is through the roof,” he said. “Seeing the ballpark as well, seeing the surrounding area, it’s incredibly exciting. And just (envisioning) what it’s going to be like when we’re back to winning day in and day out, getting the fans engaged and excited, I can’t be more thrilled.”

He called his new position “one of the premier jobs in all of sports.”

Anthopoulos, a native of Montreal, was the Blue Jays’ general manager for six years, a stint that culminated with an American League East title in 2015, when he was named MLB executive of the year by The Sporting News. But Anthopoulos left Toronto after that season as the Blue Jays brought in a new team president.

“It was a tough decision,” he said of leaving the Blue Jays. “… I just didn’t feel it was the right fit.”

He has worked in the Los Angeles Dodgers’ front office the past two seasons as vice president of baseball operations. 

Anthopoulos said he was first contacted about the Braves job while the Dodgers were playing the Houston Astros in the World Series. From the start, he said, the open job was described to him as one that would report directly to McGuirk. 

He met with McGuirk and other Braves officials over dinner at a SunTrust Park club on Oct. 30, the off day between Games 5 and 6 of the World Series. 

After the dinner and a private meeting with McGuirk in his office, Anthopoulos was convinced he wanted the job.

“I told my wife, ‘This is as good a job as I’m ever going to be able to find. I’d love to get it,’” he said.

Then, during a two-week wait to be offered the position, “I was on pins and needles a little bit,” he said.

The MLB investigation and still-unknown sanctions didn’t dissuade him, Anthopoulos said, because “you just deal with those challenges, and we’ll get through them.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Sports

Ten observations from Hawks loss at Pacers
Ten observations from Hawks loss at Pacers
Save for a brief stretch of spirited play early in the fourth quarter, the Hawks had nothing. They were ragged with the ball and the Pacers took advantage with a barrage of steals and transition scores—several times they just plain beat the Hawks back down the floor. By the time the Pacers opened up 23-point lead late midway through the third...
Ex-NFL player detained over post showing gun, his high school 
Ex-NFL player detained over post showing gun, his high school 

Former Miami Dolphins offensive lineman Jonathan Martin, who has struggled with mental health issues after a 2013 bullying scandal that shook the NFL, was taken into Los Angeles police custody Friday after a threatening Instagram post on his account mentioned his former high school and two former NFL teammates. Martin was being questioned by investigators...
Kyle Busch wins pole for Atlanta’s NASCAR race
Kyle Busch wins pole for Atlanta’s NASCAR race

Darrell "Bubba" Wallace Jr. was the hot topic even as Kyle Busch won the pole Friday at Atlanta Motor Speedway in Hampton. Busch will start in front Sunday in the Folds of Honor QuikTrip 500, the second race of the NASCAR Monster Energy Cup season, after edging Ryan Newman. Busch won the pole with a lap of 184.652 mph. Wallace will start...
Henry County shows its basketball prowess with 3 boys teams in QF for first time
Henry County shows its basketball prowess with 3 boys teams in QF for first time
Boys basketball in Henry County has been on the rise this decade, and it reached new heights this week.   Dutchtown, Stockbridge and Eagle’s Landing Christian all advanced to the boys’ state quarterfinals for the first time on Thursday night.   Dutchtown, the surprise winner of the Region 4-AAAAA tournament earlier this month...
What Chris Holtmann said after Ohio State’s 80-78 win over Indiana
What Chris Holtmann said after Ohio State’s 80-78 win over Indiana

Ohio State was looking to close out its 2017-18 regular season with a win against Indiana on the road on Friday night and did so with an 80-78 double overtime victory. Related: C.J. Jackson clinched the win with this 3-point bomb to end the game With the win, the Buckeyes are now 24-7 overall going into the Big Ten Tournament...
More Stories