A woman is being treated in Cobb County for serious burn injuries from a fire that started while she was smoking in bed near an oxygen tank, according to a report.
Frances Gable of Rome fell asleep Thursday morning while holding a cigarette, the Rome News-Tribune reported. She was awakened by the flames.
The Rome Fire Department responded with five engines and got the fire under control quickly, officials said.
Gable first was taken to Floyd Medical Center with second- and third-degree burns over 25 to 30 percent of her body, Fire Marshal Johnie Evans said.
She later was taken to the Cobb WellStar Hospital burn center in Austell.
Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.
In other news: