DeKalb sheriff suspends himself after allegedly exposing himself


Even while fighting charges that he exposed himself in Piedmont Park and ran from police, DeKalb County Sheriff Jeff Mann suspended himself for one week.

Mann wrote in a memo to sheriff’s office employees Tuesday that his self-imposed suspension isn’t an admission of guilt. Instead, he said, it’s a penalty for his conduct.

In the memo, Mann wrote that he deserves the punishment because he needs to be held to a “higher standard” than his employees, who would be subject to internal discipline if they were arrested for similar offenses.

RELATED: DeKalb sheriff apologizes, says he plans to stay on the job

MORE: DeKalb sheriff seeks to block investigation of misconduct

“The mere fact of placing myself in a position to be arrested is sufficient reason for this self-imposed discipline,” Mann wrote in the memo that was emailed to employees and obtained Wednesday by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. “I cannot, in good faith, fail to take responsibility for the negative and unwanted criticism brought to this great agency and the county, and I apologize to each of you.”

Mann, who said his one-week suspension shouldn’t be construed as an admission of guilt, has rejected calls to resign from the office he was re-elected to in November.

He was arrested the night of May 6 on charges of indecency and obstruction, both city of Atlanta ordinance violations. An incident report said a police officer saw Mann expose himself and then flee when the officer identified himself and turned his flashlight on Mann. He was apprehended about a quarter-mile away after leading the officer on a foot chase through Midtown Atlanta streets.

Mann’s suspension only strengthens the belief of many DeKalb residents that he did something wrong, said Harold Dennis, a former reserve lieutenant in the DeKalb Sheriff’s Office who ran against Mann last year.

“Basically, he’s admitting guilt,” Dennis said. “He’s telling his officers and his deputies that he did commit misconduct for actions he did in the city of Atlanta. He should go ahead and retire and stop causing the citizens of DeKalb County further embarrassment.”

Mann wrote that he imposed on himself the maximum penalty for the infraction of engaging in conduct that “has a tendency to destroy public respect … or destroy confidence in the operations of the county service.” The normal penalty for a first offense of this infraction is written counseling, he wrote.

“I cannot ask my employees to abide by a code of conduct unless I am willing to subject myself to it as well,” Mann wrote.

But Dennis said he knows of several deputies who have been fired for lesser offenses, and they might file lawsuits to seek their jobs back.

Mann will serve his suspension from Saturday through June 4. Mann wrote he will donate the equivalent of one week’s pay to charities to be determined in the near future.

He’s also facing the potential for further sanctions.

Besides the charges, Mann is also being investigated by a panel appointed by Gov. Nathan Deal. Based on the panel’s findings, the governor could suspend Mann for up to 90 days, order an additional investigation by the GBI and ask the DeKalb district attorney to initiate proceedings to remove the sheriff from office.

Mann and his attorney are asking a judge to stop the investigation, saying Mann isn’t accused of any misconduct in his official capacity as sheriff. Fulton County Superior Court Judge Eric Dunaway has scheduled a hearing on the matter next week.

It’s unusual for a sheriff to suspend himself, said Terry Norris, executive director for the Georgia Sheriffs’ Association. He can’t recall another time it’s happened in the last 20 years.

“I presume what he’s doing is an attempt to treat himself like any deputy or employee,” Norris said. “He’s the holder of the trust of the public through the election process. The question is, what do the citizens of DeKalb feel about his decision to do this?”

Norris said Mann’s self-suspension likely has little relevance to the governor’s investigation.

For now, Mann isn’t going anywhere.

“I am committed to remaining your sheriff and restoring your trust in me,” Mann wrote in the conclusion of his memo.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Ga. 400/I-285 ramps to close for interchange work
Ga. 400/I-285 ramps to close for interchange work

A series of ramp and lane closures connected to the reconstruction of the interchange will affect traffic on Ga. 400 and I-285 in the top-end Perimeter area of North Fulton and DeKalb counties, the Georgia Department of Transportation says. Exit ramps will be closed from southbound Ga. 400 to westbound I-285, 9 p.m.-5 a.m., Feb. 28-March 1; from northbound...
Cobb may add small business incentives
Cobb may add small business incentives

A final public hearing and possible vote are scheduled for Feb. 27 by the Cobb County Board of Commissioners that would allow more small business incentives. The meeting will begin at 7 p.m. Feb. 27 in the BOC meeting room, second floor, 100 Cherokee St., Marietta. Instead of three incentive programs, there would be seven incentive programs, including...
Town hall meetings scheduled in Cobb
Town hall meetings scheduled in Cobb

Town hall meetings are planned during late February and early March in Cobb County to hear from the public on a variety of issues. State Rep. Teri Anulewicz, D-Smyrna; State Sen. Jen Jordan, D-District 6; Cobb County Commissioners Lisa Cupid and Bob Ott and Smyrna Mayor Pro Tem Derek Norton will hold a town hall 6:30-8:30 p.m. Feb. 26...
Milton to offer vehicles in online auction
Milton to offer vehicles in online auction

The city of Milton is putting three vehicles out for bid in an online auction that will run for two weeks. Bidding on a 2007 Ford Crown Victoria, 2011 Ford Fusion and 2013 Ford Taurus starts at 9 a.m. Feb. 26 at www.govdeals.com, officials said. The auction ends at 3 p.m. March 12. Full property descriptions as well as bidding process details will...
8-year-old boy robbed at gunpoint, New Orleans police say
8-year-old boy robbed at gunpoint, New Orleans police say

Authorities are investigating after an 8-year-old boy told New Orleans police he was robbed at gunpoint Saturday, according to multiple reports. The boy told police he was approached by a man who demanded his keys, NOLA.com reported. The man pulled out a gun after the boy refused, according to the news site. “Give me the keys or I will kill...
More Stories