The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., dressed in a cap and gown. King graduated from Morehouse College in 1948 with a bachelor’s of arts degree in sociology.
Morehouse College is planning a series of events next month to commemorate the life and legacy of its most famous graduate, the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., as the 50th anniversary of his assassination comes in April.
King graduated from Morehouse in 1948.
Here’s the schedule:
- Sat., Jan. 6 - The National Center for Civil and Human Rights will open a new exhibit “Down Jericho Road: Martin Luther King Jr. in His Final Year.” The exhibit will feature original sermons, speeches and correspondence from the Morehouse College Martin Luther King Jr. Collection. The center is at 100 Ivan Allen Jr. Blvd. in Atlanta.
- Sun., Jan. 14, 6 p.m. - A candlelight vigil will be held on campus at the Martin Luther King Jr. International Chapel.
- Mon., Jan. 15, 8 p.m. - Morehouse students will gather at the King Chapel for a citywide day of community service on King’s birthday.
- Thu., Jan. 18, 11 a.m. - Lewis Baldwin, professor emeritus of religious studies at Vanderbilt University, will speak at the Martin Luther King Jr. Crown Forum at the King Chapel.
- Wed., Jan. 24, 5:30 p.m. - Children’s Defense Fund founder and president Marian Wright Edelman will speak on the unfinished work of King at the Ray Charles Performing Arts Center on campus.
- Thu., Jan. 25, 11 a.m. - The Rev. Ernest Andrew Brooks III will speak at the Martin Luther King Jr. Crown Forum at the King Chapel.
- Tue., Jan. 30, 5 p.m. - The 13,000-piece Morehouse King Collection will be available for viewing at the Atlanta University Center Robert W. Woodruff Library, 111 James. P. Brawley Dr. SW in Atlanta.
- Wed., Jan. 31, 5 p.m. - King Legacy Scholars and other students will meet at the campus Literary Salon to discuss King’s book, The Trumphet of Conscience.
MLK’s classmates share memories from Morehouse College Class of 1948
Read MLK’s letter to the editor that offered a glimpse of his future
In other related news:
What You Need To Know: Martin Luther King Jr.