Former prosecutors join accused NSA leaker’s legal defense team


A former top U.S. Justice Department official and a former federal prosecutor have joined Reality Winner’s legal defense team in the National Security Agency leak investigation.

Joe Whitley, who served as the acting associate U.S. attorney general during the Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations, is a partner with the Atlanta law firm of Baker Donelson. He also worked as the U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s general counsel and served as a federal prosecutor in Georgia. Joining Whitley is Matthew Chester, a former assistant U.S. attorney who works for the same law firm in New Orleans. 

They are teaming up with John Bell and Titus Nichols of Bell & Brigham in Augusta. The attorneys joined the case after First Look Media, the parent company of The Intercept online news outlet, announced this month that it would help Winner’s legal defense. First Look said its Press Freedom Defense Fund would provide $50,000 in matching funds to Stand With Reality, a nonprofit campaign to support Winner’s case through advocacy and fundraising. 

RELATED: Owner of The Intercept assisting accused NSA leaker’s legal defense

The U.S. Justice Department has accused Winner of leaking to The Intercept a top-secret NSA report about Russia’s meddling in the 2016 presidential election. The Intercept published the report, which says Russian military intelligence officials tried to hack into the U.S. voting system just before last November’s election. 

A federal grand jury has indicted Winner, 25, on a single count of "willful retention and transmission of national defense information.” She faces up to 10 years in prison and $250,000 in fines. Winner, who is being held in the Lincoln County Jail, has pleaded not guilty to the charge. 

Winner’s mother, Billie Winner-Davis, released a statement to Stand With Reality about the new attorneys joining her daughter’s defense team. 

“I am very excited about Mr. Whitley joining Reality’s defense team,” she said, “as he appears to have extensive experience. His background with homeland security should be helpful.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

DeKalb man assaulted driver after three hijackings, cops say 
DeKalb man assaulted driver after three hijackings, cops say 

In two days, Azoumana Diarra managed to steal three cars, assault one of the drivers and bring a minor along for the crimes, the DeKalb County Sheriff’s Office said.  Roughly three weeks later, authorities arrested Diarra after he ran from them outside a Stone Mountain business Monday.  RELATED:  Man fatally stabbed cousin, then...
Women accused of snatching wig off store mannequin
Women accused of snatching wig off store mannequin

Police in Savannah are looking for two women who allegedly stole a wig from a beauty supply store earlier this month. Surveillance footage shows the women entering the store on Victory Drive around 3 p.m. on Sept. 8. One snatched a black wig off a mannequin and stuffed it in her purse before leaving the store, police said in a statement....
Hurricane Florence: Georgia sends 911 dispatchers to North Carolina
Hurricane Florence: Georgia sends 911 dispatchers to North Carolina

As the remnants of Hurricane Florence continue to impact the Carolinas, Georgia is offering a helping hand to its northern neighbors. Georgia TERT —short for Telecommunication Emergency Response Taskforce — sent eight 911 dispatchers to North Carolina on Monday. The communication officers will be working in Sampson County, which is near...
Atlanta cops seek 17-year-old who allegedly shot man in Vine City area
Atlanta cops seek 17-year-old who allegedly shot man in Vine City area

A 17-year-old who allegedly shot a man last month has been added to Atlanta’s “most wanted” list. Police have identified Tyrone Gates as a suspect in the Aug. 6 shooting on Martin Luther King Jr. Dr NW. The victim, who appeared to have been shot twice in the lower back, ran across the street to the Chick-fil-A that opened...
Reward grows to $10K for information on Confederate monument vandalism
Reward grows to $10K for information on Confederate monument vandalism

Financial contributions from angry citizens have caused a reward to grow to $10,000 for information on who vandalized a Confederate monument in a South Georgia cemetery. The GBI and local authorities are investigating the damage to the Screven County Confederate Dead Monument in Sylvania, the Statesboro Herald reported. RELATED: Confederate...
More Stories