breaking news

WATCH LIVE: Testimony in trial of man accused of racially motivated murder

Life with Gracie: Five years later, Tripp Halstead better than expected

Update: Tripp Halstead died Thursday, March 15, 2018.

This column was published in fall 2017 on the 5th anniversary of his accident as a toddler at day care.

Five years ago Oct. 29, Stacy and Bill Halstead’s only child was nearly killed when a tree limb fell on him while he played outside his Winder day care center.

And so every Oct. 29 since then, without even looking at the calendar, the stress of that day comes for a visit.

“I let myself cry for what happened to him, for all the suffering he went through,” Stacy Halstead said.

But by evening, her sadness dissolves once more into joy as family and friends arrive to celebrate, yes, celebrate the fact that Tripp is alive and improving.

No one expected that would happen. When that tree limb fell on the toddler, doctors told the Halsteads they doubted he’d survive surgery that day.

Even with the grace of five years, it’s hard to make peace with that. If you’re a parent, if you’ve ever come close to losing a child, you know what I’m talking about.

And you might even understand why, after all this time, that singular day is forever etched into the Halsteads’ lives. The wounds run deep.

“That day is the day that changed our lives,” Stacy Halstead said.

RELATED: Toddler critical after being hit by tree limb

Sometime around 11 a.m. that day, Stacy Halstead got a call from the daycare center Tripp had attended since he was 6 weeks old.

“They told me Tripp had gotten hurt,” she said.

Halstead was enroute there, when she got a second call.

Meet us at Winder Barrow Hospital, the caller said. You need to hurry.

Halstead assumed Tripp had broken an arm or leg, nothing as serious as a brain injury.

Then she got a third call. The toddler was being airlifted to Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta (CHOA). Halstead telephoned her mother and husband. The three of them arrived just as they were about to load him into the aircraft.

Tripp was unconscious but he wasn’t bleeding. 

The Halsteads got in one car and headed to CHOA, scared but hopeful.

At the hospital, they got another look at their boy, surrounded now by a team of doctors and nurses.

Minutes later a surgeon pulled them aside. Tripp’s brain was so severely damaged, he might not survive the operation.

“That’s when we realized this was something extremely serious,” Halstead said.

RELATED: The sad and empowering stories behind brain injuries

They hugged Tripped once more, kissed him and told him everything would be OK. With that, Tripp was rolled into surgery.

Six hour later, it was over. The surgeon had decided to leave Tripp’s brain intact but removed the front part of his skull.

Five months and dozens of surgeries later, Tripp was released.

That homecoming didn’t last. Just two days later, he was back at CHOA. Tripp’s liver enzymes were elevated.

That hospital stay was the beginning of many, the beginning of one roller coaster ride after another.

Up until his accident, the Halsteads lived a pretty ordinary life. Tripp, born on 9/11, loved his daycare and cars. Stacy Halstead was a teller at a local bank. Bill Halstead worked for Lowes in Athens. Nothing was more important to them than their little boy.

As Tripp slept peacefully in an easy chair at the Halsteads’ Jefferson home recently, Stacy Halstead remembered another time, when she envisioned a decidedly different future for her son.

She is grateful for the progress he has made. He attends school at Jefferson Academy. Every Friday he receives occupational, physical, feeding and speech therapy. About three years ago he started showing emotions again. He smiles. He gets sad. He rolls his eyes. And when he doesn’t get his way, he gets mad.

No one can say if this is where his progress will end or if he’ll continue to improve.

RELATED: Tripp Halstead’s dad training for Ironman to raise money for children with disabilities

He still can’t feed himself or walk or talk like other 7-year-olds. His head has to be supported like an infant.

Visitor’s to his Facebook page have criticized the Halsteads as attention seekers and accused the mother of being selfish for keeping her son alive. 

The negative comments bothered her at first, but she has weathered them much like she has her son’s condition. After all, far more people have offered their love and support to the family than not.

“We have the best family and friends anyone can ask for,” Halstead said. “They all know how to take care of Tripp. How to feed him, give his meds, transport him so I get some much-needed down time. We go on dates. I try to be balanced so I don’t burn out. Most special needs moms don’t have that privilege. I try to never take it for granted.”

To show their appreciation, the Halsteads try to pay the kindnesses forward, helping raise money for charities, including Ride to Givethe Ronald McDonald House, and CHOA.

On every anniversary, she deliveres flowers and cookies to the staff at Tripp’s old day care center.

“They loved Tripp and he loved going there. They will always be part of our life,” she said.

Last Sunday, Stacy Halstead allowed herself to grieve once more and then, as she has done for the past five years, got on with life.

Find Gracie on Facebook ( and Twitter (@GStaples_AJC) or email her at

Reader Comments ...

Next Up in Local

Pregnant pizza delivery driver attacked days after robbery on the same street
Pregnant pizza delivery driver attacked days after robbery on the same street

Less than two weeks after a pizza delivery driver was lured to a southwest Atlanta neighborhood and robbed at gunpoint, another was attacked on the same street Wednesday night. And, according to Channel 2 Action News, the victim in the latest case is pregnant. Dennis Madaris told the news station he sprang into action when he heard the woman screaming...
WEATHER-TRAFFIC UPDATE: More heat, storms for official start to summer
WEATHER-TRAFFIC UPDATE: More heat, storms for official start to summer

Thursday: High: 90 Thursday night: Low: 74 Friday: High: 88 Today may be the official start to summer, but Atlanta has been in summertime mode for weeks. It’s the longest day of the year, and Thursday will see more of the same high temperatures, humidity and late-developing rain storms North Georgia has come to expect this season...
UPDATE: Wanted man kills self as Cobb police surround parents’ home, officials say 
UPDATE: Wanted man kills self as Cobb police surround parents’ home, officials say 

A man accused of shooting his girlfriend in Cherokee County was found dead Thursday morning after a brief standoff in Cobb County, authorities said. “Marshall Phillip McCall has died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a house in Marietta,” the Cherokee County Sheriff’s Office said on Facebook.  The agency issued a lookout for...
Jonesboro hires community development director
Jonesboro hires community development director

The city of Jonesboro recently welcomed David Allen as Community Development Director. A native of Atlanta, Allen earned a Bachelor of Science in Landscape Architecture from Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University. He is a Georgia Registered Landscape Architect and has worked in various landscape architecture and engineering firms in Norfolk...
Hapeville rail facilities project on track
Hapeville rail facilities project on track

The long awaited Hapeville Rail Facilities Improvement Project has begun construction, according to city officials. Storm drain installation work began June 18 at the Pedestrian Overpass bridge area. There will be some temporary closure of parking spaces that are next to the railroad tracks on North Central Avenue. However, parking spaces in front...
More Stories