Charges dropped against ex-Atlanta officer accused of killing unarmed black man 


Charges have been dropped against a former Atlanta police officer accused of killing an unarmed black man two years ago in northwest Atlanta.

The decision was made last week after Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard said a recent U.S. Supreme Court case “declined to address the issue of whether certain statements, made by a police officer, could be used by the state in a grand jury proceeding.” 

Statements made by James R. Burns were utilized before the Fulton County grand jury, according to the DA’s office.

“Out of an abundance of caution, rather than seeking to litigate this issue further, we are simply choosing to re-indict the entire case,” Howard said in a statement obtained Friday by AJC.com. 

MORE COVERAGE: 

Atlanta officer fired as shooting at cars by police gets new scrutiny

New details in deadly police shooting of black man

Burns was arrested and charged with murder in the June 22, 2016, killing of Deravis Caine Rogers. On the night of the shooting, Burns arrived at the Monroe Place apartments shortly before midnight after an off-duty officer reported a suspicious person on foot at the complex. Upon arriving, Burns spotted the driver of a 2011 silver Ford Fusion turn on the headlights and start to drive away.

He tried to pull his patrol car into the middle of the road to block the vehicle. But the Ford, driven by Rogers, maneuvered around Burns’ patrol car. The officer then jumped from his vehicle, yelled stop and shot through the passenger side window of the Ford as it drove away. The bullet struck Rogers in lower right side of his head and his car careened down the road before striking a vehicle in the parking lot of Cirque Daiquiri Bar and Grill on Monroe Drive.

Rogers was pronounced dead that evening at Grady Memorial Hospital.

Burns told investigators that Rogers tried to run him over. But investigators reviewed dashcam video that captured part of what happened. Several witnesses were also interviewed and police determined the evidence did not support Burns’ version of events.

Howard reached a similar conclusion when his office charged Burns in July 2016. The car driven by Rogers posed no threat to Burns, according to a statement released at the time. 

Burns was fired a short time after the shooting. 

Despite the latest development, court documents filed last month indicate the prosecution’s case “remains strong.” 

Howard said the DA’s office is not dropping its commitment to fully prosecute the case. 

A date to present the case to a new grand jury has not been scheduled.

In other news:



Next Up in Local

Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan dead at 80
Former UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan dead at 80

Kofi Annan, a diplomat from Ghana who served as UN Secretary-General for nine years and won the Nobel Peace Prize in 2001, died early Saturday, CNN reported. He was 80. >> Read more trending news  Annan died in a hospital in Bern, Switzerland. Reuters reported. Annan was the seventh Secretary-General, serving from 1997 to 2006...
Tow truck driver charged after hauling pizza delivery car away with boy, 11, inside 
Tow truck driver charged after hauling pizza delivery car away with boy, 11, inside 

An Illinois tow truck driver was charged after he hauled away a pizza delivery car while a 11-year-old boy with Down syndrome was inside the vehicle, WLS reported. >> Read more trending news  Brian Clark, 52, of Bensenville, was charged with endangerment of a child and reckless conduct. He was released on bond Friday evening, the television...
Woman arrested after trying to break into Seattle home through dog door
Woman arrested after trying to break into Seattle home through dog door

A Seattle couple told police that a woman broke into their home through a dog door.  The attempted break-in was caught on surveillance cameras. The couple said they were at home when they saw a car pull up next to their driveway. Hours later the car was still there. Then the couple noticed the woman who was in the car was trying to break into...
Trial delayed for suspect in central Florida school shooting
Trial delayed for suspect in central Florida school shooting

The trial for a 19-year-old Florida man accused of firing a shotgun inside a Marion County high school has been postponed. It was supposed to start Monday, but the defense said it needed more time. >> Read more trending news  In April, a school resource officer inside Forest High School in Ocala arrested Sky Bouche minutes...
Texas sheriff department's newest cruiser funded by seized drug money
Texas sheriff department's newest cruiser funded by seized drug money

A Texas sheriff’s department is showing off its newest cruiser and thanking an unlikely source, KTRK reported. >> Read more trending news  In a tweet, the Fort Bend County Sheriff's Office said the vehicle was funded by seized drug money. The department shared a photo on Twitter of a decal on the cruiser that reads &ldquo...
More Stories