Gwinnett police find gunman dead after SWAT standoff


Highlights

Police went to serve James Burley Jr. an arrest warrant and he refused to come out.

A man who barricaded himself inside a Gwinnett County home Monday was found dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound after an hours-long SWAT standoff, police said. 

Authorities were at the Laurel View Drive home in unincorporated Snellville to serve James Burley Jr., 33, an arrest warrant, but he refused to come out, Gwinnett police Cpl. Michele Pihera said.

The neighborhood was blocked off as SWAT officers negotiated with Burley.

Pihera said they had hoped for “a peaceful resolution,” but SWAT members found Burley dead from a gunshot wound just after 6 p.m. 

Police had been at the home since 9 a.m. 

RELATED: Teen in custody after hours-long standoff in DeKalb

It was the second SWAT situation of the day in metro Atlanta.

A team had a DeKalb County home surrounded for nearly four hours after a gunman barricaded himself inside. Just before 12:30 p.m., footage showed the teen being led away from a home in the 3900 block of Appleton Court in handcuffs.

VIEW: Map of crime in metro Atlanta

NEW: Join the discussion at the AJC's Crime & Safety Facebook group

Know what’s really going on with crime and public safety in your metro Atlanta community, including breaking news, trial coverage, trends and the latest on unsolved cases. Sign up for the AJC’s crime and safety newsletter delivered weekly to your inbox.

In other news:



Next Up in Local

DOJ: Metro Atlanta residents stole $1.5M in online dating scam
DOJ: Metro Atlanta residents stole $1.5M in online dating scam

Seven Nigerian nationals, four of whom live in metro Atlanta, have been indicted for allegedly conducting an online dating scam that cost lovelorn victims more than $1.5 million, the U.S. Department of Justice said in a press release. READ | DOJ: Gwinnett real estate agent defrauded clients out of $22M The seven defendants created fake profiles...
NEW DETAILS: 2 women arrested in beating, stabbing of Applebee’s waitress
NEW DETAILS: 2 women arrested in beating, stabbing of Applebee’s waitress

Two women have been arrested in connection with the recent beating and stabbing of an Applebee’s waitress at a Henry County restaurant. Lasondra Boyd, 38, and Keterah Boyd, 30, were arrested in Wilkinson County near Macon Friday after McDonough police identified the women in a lookout. They were booked into the Henry County Jail Friday night...
Chattahoochee Hills receives reimbursement for hurricane damage
Chattahoochee Hills receives reimbursement for hurricane damage

The city of Chattahoochee Hills recently received a check from the Federal Emergency Management Agency as a reimbursement for the cleanup efforts made by city staff and equipment as a result of Hurricane Irma, according to a press release. The total amount received was $14,237.17. Prior to, during and after the storm incident fire, police, public works...
Florida man used weather balloon to make suicide look like murder, police say
Florida man used weather balloon to make suicide look like murder, police say

It was a plot straight out of “CSI: Las Vegas.” In fact, it eerily followed the script from a 2003 episode of the fictional crime drama television series. Police said a 71-year-old Florida man staged his suicide in January to look like a murder, buying string, two weather balloons and tanks of helium. Alan J. Abrahamson was found dead by...
Former NASCAR driver is now focused on your driving … and texting
Former NASCAR driver is now focused on your driving … and texting

Auto racing has turned to advocacy for Canadian Patrick Carpentier. After a career that has spanned open-wheel racing and NASCAR, ovals and road courses, full-time and part-time driving, Carpentier is now an ambassador against distracted driving. In particular, Carpentier is a firebrand against teens texting behind the wheel. His 17-year old daughter...
More Stories