This was posted Thursday, December 29, 2016 by Rodney Ho on his AJC Radio & TV Talk blog
Local TV news changes, mostly at Fox 5, dominated my 25 most popular blog entries this year.
Only three items were radio related while three were connected to "Real Housewives of Atlanta." I wasn't able to land a single "Walking Dead" entry into the top 25, indicative of how competitive that world is. (My most popular "Walking Dead' item came in at just No. 149.)
1- CNN, Turner faces a class-action race discrimination lawsuit. (12/7/16) A local attorney Daniel Meacham filed the lawsuit on behalf of two named plaintiffs but on behalf of dozens of black employees or former employees. The crux of the lawsuit focuses on the difficulties black employees faced getting promoted and being paid comparably to white employees. The Drudge Report gave the story major play for 18 hours, pushing this into the top spot with 371,000-plus page views to date.
2- Alan Kay wins season one of History's 'Alone.' (8/20/15) This is proof positive that Search Engine Optimization is my friend. The story about this Blairsville winner finished No. 13 last year and continued to build page views this year courtesy of people watching repeats of season one as well as season two and three. Over 16 months, the story has generated more than 243,000 page views.
3- Bachelorette Andi Dorfman calls Josh Murray an 'emotional abuser' in tell-all book (5/18/16). The former Atlanta attorney and 2014 "Bachelorette" wrote a book which called out her ex for various trangressions, including a nasty temper and a jealous streak. What fueled the popularity of this story was the fact Murray showed up on two more reality shows, including "Bachelor Pad," where current "Bachelor" and former Murray rival Nick Viall brought up the book multiple times. Thanks, Nick!
4- Gurvir Dhindsa has left 'Good Day Atlanta' after second stint (4/27/16). Every time someone wonders what happened to Dhindsa while watching this popular Fox show, my story pops up. Dhindsa has kept a low profile since her departure.
5- CBS46 photojournalist fired over racists rants regarding Black Lives Matter (7/12/16). This was one of those quick hits that went viral for a day or two and that went away. It also shows that there is always someone stupid enough to post controversial opinions on social media and thinks they can do so without consequences. And enjoy the comments. They're just as fun as his original Tweets.
6- KSU grad, former 11 Aliver Jarrett Hill discovered Melania Trump/Michelle Obama speech similarities (7/19/16). Like the story above, this one generated a lot of attention for a couple of days, then faded away.
7. DC Fox 5 anchor reveals long ago affair between her husband and Gurvir Dhindsa (9/9/16). In a podcast, Holly Morris said her co-anchor Dhindsa had an affair with her then husband Tom Sater. Dhindsa and Sater are now married.
8- Exclusive: Lisa Rayam leaves Fox 5. (5/2/16) Rayam insisted she left voluntarily. My very reliable sources said otherwise. She will be a correspondent for GPB's "Lawmakers" starting next month.
9- Boss: Amanda Davis arrest was a misunderstanding. (12/14/16) This story earlier this month featured former Fox 5 anchor not aware she had to reinstate her driver's license following probation for a 2015 DUI. When a cop pulled her over for an expired tag, she was arrested for a suspended license. Ultimately, this had nothing to do with drinking. (She is sober now.) She starts at CBS46 as a morning anchor on January 2.
ATLANTA, GA - JUNE 14: Keshia Knight Pulliam and Ed Hartwell attend 'Finding Dory' advance screening at AMC Phipps Plaza on June 15, 2016 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Robin L Marshall/Getty Images)
10. Ed Hartwell files for divorce to Keshia Knight Pulliam after just seven months of damage. (7/25/16) Hartwell's connection to "Real Housewives," having been married to former castmate Lisa Wu, and Knight Pulliam's "Cosby Show" ties generated extra interest in this story.
11. Radio station guide.
12- Sheree Whitfield sues insurance company for $280,000 for Chateau Sheree damage. (1/12/16)The building of the "Real Housewives of Atlanta" cast member's unfinished Sandy Springs home was delayed by flooding from a busted water pipe. I have not heard whether she is living in there yet.
13. Who won season two of 'The Rap Game.' (9/24/16) This Atlanta-based Jermaine Dupri led "American Idol" for young rap stars has been a hit for Lifetime. And since hardly anyone else covers the show, this left an opening for me.
16. WSB-TV's Erin Coleman leaving after seven years. (6/30/16).
17. Frank Ski returning to V-103. (4/13/16). He's now doing weekends and filling in during the week. This was the most popular radio-related story this year.
18. Amanda Davis admits she is an alcoholic (5/13/16)
19. Wanda Smith confronts Amanda Davis over her drinking (5/19/16).
20. Who won 'Food Network Star'? Tregaye or Jernard? (7/31/16). This was the first time that the two finalists of any reality competition show featured two metro Atlantans. Tregaye ended up winning.
21. Jeff Dauler breaks down talking about Jenn Hobby's baby getting cancer (8/15/16). My colleague Jenn Brett on AJC Buzz wrote about this first so I did this follow up.
22. Former Fox 5 anchor Amanda Davis gets probation over DUI. (2/10/16).
23. While on vacation: Tamar Braxton, Tyler Perry, Jenn Hobby, Alyse Eady, Keshia Knight Pulliam. This was an inexplicably popular blog entry since it was just a compilation of news items I missed while I was in Charleston on break.
24. Robin Meade requested a bathroom and this is how the New York Post spun it (2/15/16) The Post tried to paint Meade as some sort of crazy diva. She is not a diva. She had good reason to request a bathroom given her job. (HLN did end up building the restroom next to Studio 7. "Previously, it was situated on the other side of the floor and was impractical for people working on live shows," a spokesman said.)