Prince died from an accidental overdose of self-administered fentanyl, a type of synthetic opioid, according to a report from the Midwest Medical Examiner's Office.
The findings, released on Thursday, end the speculation about how the music icon died on April 21.
The report lists the 5-foot-3-inch singer's weight at 112 pounds and notes that he was wearing black clothing and a black cap the morning of his death.
Since last month, the Carver County Sheriff's Office and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration have been investigating how Prince obtained the painkillers, which were found on him when he died.
“The M.E. report is one piece of the whole thing “ Jason Kamerud, the county’s chief deputy sheriff, told The New York Times.
Prince died a week after playing his final concerts in Atlanta. He was treated by a Minnesota doctor on April 7 , the day of his originally scheduled concert at the Fox Theatre, which was canceled hours before showtime. Ticketholders were told Prince had the flu.
RELATED CONTENT: Concert review: Prince enchants at Fox Theatre show