breaking news

Severe storms plow through metro Atlanta

AJC Watchdog: First Alert

Keeping watch on those who hold the public trust and money

New Youtube video draws attention to Caroline Small police shooting

The Caroline Small police shooting case in south Georgia is drawing fresh attention and outrage thanks to a new Youtube video about the case.

Just months after Small's family appeared out of options and suspended its effort to have the fatal shooting case reopened, Youtube video entrepreneur John Lordan has produced a 43-minute video that has introduced the brutal shooting to thousands of new viewers across the country.

"This case deserves to be looked at more, it deserves to be talked about more," Lordan tells his viewers on his Youtube channel that has 33,000 subscribers. "This just should not have gone down like this."

More than 11,000 people have viewed the video where Lordan, whose Twitter account says he is based in Minnesota, dissects the Brunswick shooting and its aftermath. Lordan urges his viewers to sign the Small family's petition to reopen the case and more than 200 have responded since the July 7 video was posted. The video has also drawn 450 comments.

The GBI agent who oversaw the 2010 investigation called the case the worst police shooting case he'd ever investigated. The case involved allegations that local district attorney Jackie Johnson steered the grand jury and actively worked to help clear the officers in the face of significant doubts about the Glynn County police officers' justification for shooting Small.

Lordan tells his viewers he became aware of the case when one of them sent it to him. Much of his video is based on investigative reporting by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution and Channel 2 Action News that in 2015 revealed troubling new details about the shooting.

Small, a mother of two, was shot in the head and face after she led police on a low-speed chase through the streets of Brunswick in June 2010.

Almost from the beginning, there were questions about whether Glynn County police used excessive force. Small was unarmed and her vehicle was hemmed in with no where to go when Officer Michael T. Simpson and Sgt. Robert C. Sasser fired eight bullets through her windshield. Both were cleared by a grand jury and Simpson has since died.

She never regained consciousness after the shooting and died a week later.

Reader Comments ...

About the Author

Brad Schrade is a Pulitzer Prize-winning reporter on the AJC’s investigative team.