AJC Watchdog: First Alert

Keeping watch on those who hold the public trust and money

Doctor re-arrested after leaving Atlanta VA Medical Center

A doctor arrested after taking weapons to a Trump hotel was back in custody this week after Atlanta VA Medical Center released him for failing to comply with treatment, AP has reported.

Dr. Bryan Douglas Moles was ordered to undergo psychiatric evaluation and treatment at the Atlanta facility after his May 31 arrest in Washington, D.C. But prosecutors said he tampered with the sprinkler system at the VA, flooding his room, and reportedly left a threatening message for a witness in the case.

The osteopath, who had said he suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder from his time in the military, was discharged from the hospital Monday against medical advice, news reports say.

The Pennsylvania doctor then returned to D.C. and posted Facebook photos of headlines about the shooting of U.S. Rep. Steve Scalise at the Republican baseball practice, a federal prosecutors said. The prosecutor also told a court that Moles returned to get drugs.

A magistrate judge then ordered that Moles be held until trial and undergo a competency examination, AP reported.

Two weeks after his initial arrest, Moles is still actively licensed in Pennsylvania with no disciplinary actions by the state Board of Medicine, a Friday morning check of the state website shows. However, state law provides that a doctor's license may be temporarily suspended when there is immediate and clear danger to the public health and safety.

A federal criminal complaint accused Moles, who is 43, of unlawful possession and unlawful transportation of a firearm. According to the complaint, Moles left a voicemail telling an acquaintance he was traveling to D.C. to meet with Trump, and that "he was a refugee intent on bringing down big pharmacy and big business medicine."

According to the complaint, Moles also said he had a car full of ammunition and survival supplies. When he arrived at Trump International Hotel in D.C., he reportedly asked a parking valet to keep his vehicle secure because it contained a rifle and a handgun. In D.C., all guns must be registered with police.

Police found an AR-15-style semi-automatic rifle in his car along with two 30-round high-capacity magazines containing ammunition, the complaint says. He also said he had other weapons at his home, which police later seized.

Moles told police that he was a recovering alcoholic, the complaint says. He also reportedly told police he suffered from PTSD related to his time in military service and that he was unable to take anti-psychotic medications because they made him suicidal.

He had practiced emergency medicine at a Pennsylvania hospital.



Reader Comments ...

About the Author

Lois Norder is Senior Editor for Investigations in the newsroom at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.