We are down to the championship games for A-5A, while in 6A-7A, the quarterfinals begin Friday. Below is a look at how we got to this point.
- The quarterfinals matchups are: No. 4 Pope at No. 1 Lambert; Roswell at No. 3 Centennial; No. 10 Walton at Allatoona; No. 9 West Forsyth at No. 6 Lassiter.
- Although the official GHSA bracket calls for quarterfinals games to be played on Friday, apparently there was wiggle room to play on Thursday because that's what Roswell and Centennial did. Centennial won easily over Roswell, 21-11, to advance to the semifinals, where they'll play the winner of the Pope-Lambert contest. I have Lambert beating Centennial in the semifinals. On Feb. 28, Lambert beat Centennial 20-11.
- There were no major upsets in Round 2. There were, however, two unranked teams that advanced to the quarterfinals. Roswell beat Peachtree Ridge 12-11 and Allatoona edged No. 8 Cambridge, 15-13. Allatoona beating Cambridge isn't too big of an upset — I had Cambridge winning — because the Buccaneers were last year's A-5A champions before being bumped into the high class.
- Top-ranked Lambert continues to bulldoze its way through the tournament, beating Kennesaw Mountain 19-1 in their Round 2 matchup. The Longhorns will host will host Pope, which edged No. 5 Johns Creek 10-9.
Girls: (updated bracket)
- The quarterfinals matchups are: No. 2 Lassiter at No. 1 Milton; Chattahoochee at No. 3 North Gwinnett; Pope at Lambert; No. 5 Walton at No. 7 Cambridge.
- Just like Roswell and Centennial on the boys' side, North Gwinnett and Chattahoochee got its quarterfinal matchup out of the way a day early, with North Gwinnett winning 14-6 on Thursday. The Lady Bulldogs await the winner of Milton and Lassiter. I have Milton beating North Gwinnett in the semifinals.
- Speaking of Milton and Lassiter, it's a darn shame this matchup is taking place in the quarterfinals and not in the championship. These are two of the best teams in the state, regardless of classification, and no other remaining teams deserve to advance past this round more. In the second round, Milton beat Hillgrove 18-2 and Lassiter beat No. 6 Northview 16-5. I have Milton beating Lassiter to advance to the semifinals.
Boys: (updated bracket)
- On Saturday, 5 p.m. at Lakewood Stadium in Atlanta, the title game between the No. 1 Westminster Wildcats (17-4) and No. 2 Lovett Lions (16-4) will be played. The two played on April 7, with the Wildcats winning 11-8 at Lovett. Both teams are playing for their fourth state title. Westminster's championships came in 2015, 2013, 2010 and 2007, and Lovett's came in 2009, 2008 and 2005. I pegged Westminster to beat Lovett in the title game.
Girls: ( updated bracket )
- Also at Lakewood on Saturday, the No. 1 Blessed Trinity Lady Titans and No. 8 Kell Lady Longhorns will will play, with that game starting at 2 p.m. This will be a rematch of last year's championship, which the Lady Titans won 15-13 for their first title in program history. While they'll be seeking back-to-back titles, the Lady Longhorns are aiming for their third title in the last four seasons. These teams played on Feb. 23, with Blessed Trinity winning rather easily, 17-10. I've predicted Blessed Trinity to win the title game.
Check back on Tuesday, when we review the A-5A title games and take a look at the 6A-7A semifinal matchups.