1. Wayne County 23, Valdosta 13: Wayne County pulled off the surprise of the weekend, if not the season, with a victory against a Valdosta team that was projected as a 29-point favorite by the computer Maxwell Ratings. Wayne County beat Valdosta for just the eighth time in the 34-game history of the series. Valdosta is 1-2 for the first time since 2006.
2. Woodland (Cartersville) 31, Rockmart 30: Woodland's overtime victory ended a 17-game losing streak that was tied for the second-longest active such slump in the state. The Wildcats, who were 23-point underdogs, had not won since Sept. 25, 2015. Rockmart was coming off a 36-22 victory over Piedmont, a two-time defending Alabama state champion.
3. Meadowcreek 51, Duluth 36: Meadowcreek was a nine-point favorite, but the victory was significant because it put the Mustangs at 2-0 for the first time since 1993. It also marks just the second time since 2001 that they have won more than one game in a season. And the winning streak might continue - their next four opponents have a combined record of 1-9.
4. Providence Christian 17, Riverside Military 14: Providence Christian, a 17-point underdog, picked up the first region victory in program history and just the second win overall. The Storm had been 1-33 overall and 0-25 in region games since beginning the program in 2012. Providence first-year coach Parker Conley is the state's youngest head coach at 24.
5. Morrow 29, Mount Zion (Jonesboro) 15: Morrow is 3-0 for the first time since 1998 after its victory against eight-point favorite Mount Zion, which won 38-0 last year but later had the victory overturned by forfeit. Morrow's first three opponents are a combined 0-8, however, and the difficult portion of the schedule lies ahead, beginning this week at Sandy Creek.
Worth noting: Brookstone came in as a sizable underdog (20 points) against First Presbyterian but improved to 2-1 with a 34-27 victory. First Presbyterian won last year's matchup 34-13 and went on to a 7-5 season, while Brookstone finished 5-6. ... Eagle's Landing snapped a seven-game losing streak with a 27-7 victory over 12-point favorite Houston County, which is 0-3 for the first time since 2011. Houston County won 50-27 last year but has been outscored 113-24 this season. ... Hephzibah ended a 15-game losing streak with a 39-7 victory against Westside of Augusta, which came in as an eight-point favorite. Westside now has a 10-game losing streak that began after a 12-6 win over Hephzibah last season. ... Kennesaw Mountain followed up its victory over Hiram in the opener with a 31-14 win over three-point favorite Sprayberry to reach 2-0 for the first time since 2014. The Mustangs lost to both teams last season by a total of 12 points. ... Southwest DeKalb, a 10-point underdog, beat Creekside 28-0 and dropped the Seminoles to 0-2 for the first time since 1994. Creekside, which beat the Panthers 47-14 last year, has been outscored 66-0 in its two losses this season.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.