1. Spencer 28, Carver (Columbus) 18: Spencer stopped Carver's 44-game winning streak against Muscogee County schools that began after a 16-14 loss to Shaw in the 2006 AAA semifinals. Spencer, projected as an 11-point underdog by the computer Maxwell Ratings, had lost 10 times to Carver during the streak and 18 consecutive times overall.
2. Campbell 28, South Cobb 22: Campbell broke a 19-game losing streak, picking up its first victory since a 38-8 win against Stone Mountain on Aug. 28, 2015, in the second game of the season. Campbell was a 15-point underdog, according to Maxwell. South Cobb had won seven consecutive games in the series, including 28-21 last season.
3. Bradwell Institute 23, Liberty County 7: Bradwell Institute beat 23-point favorite Liberty County for its first season-opening victory since 2009. That's the last time the Tigers finished with a winning record (6-5) and had been their last playoff appearance until they got in last year despite a 3-5-1 regular season. Liberty County won 53-13 last season.
4. Monroe Area 24, Loganville 14: Monroe Area was the most surprising winner of the week, according to the Maxwell Ratings, which projected Loganville as a 32-point favorite. Loganville had won 12 of the previous 15 meetings, including 30-7 last year, but trails in the series 19-17. It was Monroe Area's first season-opening win since 2013, when it went 11-1.
5. Bacon County 35, Pierce County 13: Bacon County avenged a 49-6 loss last season by beating 23-point favorite Pierce County. It was the first game at Pierce for new coach Jason Strickland, who led Fitzgerald to the state finals the past two seasons, and the Bears' first game since the graduation of all-state QB Stetson Bennett, now at Georgia.
Worth noting: Central (Carrollton), in its first season under coach Darius Smiley, ended a 13-game losing streak with a 42-7 victory over Landmark Christian, a seven-point favorite. Landmark is 0-2 for the first time since 2009. ... Heritage (Ringgold) picked up its first victory in the 10-game series with Ringgold, beating its city rival 13-11 to get to 2-0 for the first time since 2011. Heritage's last two losses to Ringgold had been by a total of eight points. ... North Cobb Christian, an 0-10 team last year, opened its season with a 20-17 victory over Strong Rock Christian, which won the 2016 matchup 31-21 and came into Friday's game as a 15-point favorite. ... Rockmart ended the 25-game winning streak of Alabama's Piedmont High School with a 36-22 victory at the Battle of the Borders jamboree at Cedartown. Piedmont is the two-time defending champion of Alabama's Class 3A. ... Sonoraville picked up a victory in its season opener for the first time since 2009, beating Model 28-7. It was a 43-point turnaround from last year's game, which Model won 22-0 as part of a 5-0 start to the season.
Produced by Georgia High School Football Daily, a free e-mail newsletter. To join the mailing list, click here.