Is an improbable run happening in AA before our eyes? Maybe.
In Region 1, the unranked Thomasville Bulldogs are still in the hunt for the region championship, beating the No. 6 Brooks County Trojans 32-13. If the Bulldogs (5-3, 4-0) can somehow beat No. 2-ranked Fitzgerald on the road next week, they will claim the region while providing one of the most shocking story lines of the season, regardless of classification. For the injury-plagued Trojans (6-3, 2-3) the slide continues from what was once a season with high hopes.
Aside from Thomasville's big win, the remaining games involving ranked teams went as expected.
In Region 5, the No. 4 Callaway Cavaliers went on the road and beat the Spencer Greenwave Owls 36-14. The Cavs (9-0, 4-0) clinched the region title and a No. 1 seed in the state playoffs, which earns them the privilege of hosting the first two rounds. The Cavs' win also marked the 100th career victory for coach Pete Wiggins. The Greenwave Owls fell to 6-3 and 3-1.
With second place on the line in Region 2, the No. 7 Vidalia Indians earned a 28-14 road win over the Toombs County Bulldogs. The Indians (7-2, 5-1) will host at least the first round of the state playoffs, while the Bulldogs (6-3, 4-2) will settle for a No. 3 seed.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 fared:
- The top-ranked Benedictine Cadets beat Metter 50-0 on Thursday. The win clinched a Region 2 title and a top seed in the playoffs for the Cadets (9-0, 6-0).
- No. 2 Fitzgerald beat Early County 40-6 to improve to 8-1 and 4-0 in Region 1. As previously mentioned, the Purple Hurricane play Thomasville for the region title.
- In Region 4, No. 3 Jefferson County beat Josey 65-26 to improve to 9-0 and 6-0.
- No. 5 Rabun County defeated Oglethorpe County 58-0 in Region 8 and are now 8-0 and 5-0. They clinched the region title last week.
- In Region 4, the No. 8 Screven County Gamecocks beat Glen Hills 35-9 to move to 8-1 and 6-0. The Gamecocks will travel to Jefferson County next week to decide the region championship.
- The No. 9 Pepperell Dragons beat Armuchee 57-0 to improve to 7-1 and 6-0 in Region 7. They will claim the region next week as long as they beat Chattooga.
- The No. 10 Heard County Braves beat Lamar County 14-11 and are now 7-2 and 3-1 in Region 5. The Braves play Spencer next week to determine second place.
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.