The Class AA Game of the Week featuring No. 7 Thomasville at AAAAA's No. 8 Thomas County Central did not go as projected. While Maxwell's projections pegged TCC as a 6-point favorite, the Bulldogs won 41-7. With such a crooked score, it did not live up to its GOTW billing, but surely the Bulldogs don't mind.
The win moves the Bulldogs to 2-0. It's also the program's 700th victory and the first time they've beaten both Cairo and TCC in the same season since 1991. They entered the season unranked but surged to No. 7 after beating Cairo 23-12 and could move up even further in the rankings.
According to David Almeda of the Thomasville Times Enterprise, highlights included Carl Blackmore breaking his own school record set last week by nailing a 57-yard field goal — his previous record was 53 yards — a 64-yard score from defensive back Charlie Thomas on a fumble recovery, and an interception and 55-yard fumble return for a touchdown from Karey Lee.
Here's how the rest of the top 10 faired:
- No. 2 Hapeville Charter (1-1) blew a 17-0 first-half lead and lost to Thompson (Alabama), 21-20 . Thompson is ranked Class AAAAAAA's No. 3 team in the Alabama Sports Writers Association poll . Given the caliber opponent, it's possible the Hornets maintain their spot in the rankings.
- No. 3 Fitzgerald (1-1) beat A-public's No. 6 Irwin County 31-6.
- No. 5 Rabun County (1-0) clobbered A-private No. 9 Mount Pisgah Christian 62-21, with Bailey Fisher passing for 131 yards and two touchdowns and rushing for 111 yards and two scores, according to WDUN .
- No. 8 Pepperell (0-1) was dominated in the first half by AAAA's No. 9 Ridgeland and eventually lost 35-7. According to the Times Free Press' Kevin Llewallyn , the Dragons were limited to just 35 yards in the first half and trailed 28-0 at halftime. This loss could knock the Dragons from the rankings.
- No. 10 Jefferson County (2-0) shut out Lakeside Evans 33-0.
On bye: No. 1 Benedictine; No. 4 Screven County; No. 6 Callaway; No. 9 Brooks County
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.