In a battle of unbeaten teams, Class AA's No. 5 Rabun County Wildcats traveled to Cleveland and won 49-26 over the White County Warriors of AAAA in what was previewed as the game of the week.
The game was close until the final quarter, where the Wildcats closed on a 21-0 run. As reported by Jeff Hart of accessWDUN, Cole Keener caught a pair of touchdown passes of 62 and 5 yards and Austin Jones scored on a 25-yard interception return for the three scores.
The win marked the 21st consecutive regular season win for the Wildcats, who move to 3-0 while dropping the unranked Warriors to 2-1. The last time the Wildcats lost in the regular season was the 2015 season opener against Jefferson, and the streak could be at 22 had their 2016 season opener against Mount Pisgah Christian not been called due to weather. Rabun County was leading Mount Pisgah 21-14 when the game was called.
Here’s how the rest of the top 10 faired:
- The top-ranked Benedictine Cadets beat AAA's Southeast Bulloch 48-7 on the road — as reported by the Savannah Morning News — to move to 3-0 on the season. The game, originally slated for Friday, was pushed up to Thursday ahead of any potential weather threat. Travis Blacksheer rushed for 114 yards and scored three touchdowns — two rushing, one receiving — for the Cadets.
- The No. 2 Hapeville Charter Hornets continue to impress in non-region play against highly formidable opponents, this time against Wesleyan, the No. 3 team in A-private. The Hornets won on the road 35-0 to move to 3-1. Harper Atkins had 172 yards and a score on 1 carries to lead the Hornets. David Mitchell has the story for the AJC here .
- The No. 3 Screven County Gamecocks were set to travel to AAAAA's Statesboro, but the game was cancelled due to weather.
- No. 4 Fitzgerald continues to struggle in its non-region schedule, this time losing 42-21 to Macon County , the No. 6 team in A-public. The Purple Hurricane are now 1-3 and likely headed for an exit from the rankings.
- The No. 6 Callaway Cavaliers made easy work of AAAA's Columbus, 44-13. The Cavs are 3-0. Kevin Eckleberry of the LaGrange Daily News has the game story.
- The No. 9 Jefferson County Warriors traveled to and beat 7 A-public's Washington-Wilkes 43-32. They overcame a 12-0 deficit as was reported by Scott Michaux of The Augusta Chronicle . The Warriors are now 3-0.
- The No. 10 Dodge County Indians' contest with AAA's Appling County was postponed . It has not yet been determined if or when there will be a makeup date for the non-region contest. WMAZ's Marvin James reports the matchup has been cancelled.
On bye: No. 7 Thomasville; No. 8 Brooks County
Follow the AJC’s Class AA coverage on Twitter.