The new Class AA top 10 is in and while no team exited the rankings from the week before, there was some shuffling. Fitzgerald clings to its spot in the rankings after a third loss in non-region play. The Purple Hurricane plunged from No. 4 to 10 after their 42-21 loss to Macon County, the No. 6 team in A-public. It's worth noting the Purple Hurricane were without their starting quarterback James Graham, who was out due to a knee injury.
The Purple Hurricane are the only ranked team with more than one loss, their other two coming against No. 2 Hapeville Charter and AAAAAAA's Camden County. They have plenty of time to turn their season around and will have played six non-region games before 1-AA competition begins. Their four-game region schedule will be incredibly challenging this season with the rise of No. 6 Thomasville and the always tough Brooks County, ranked No. 7.
The Purple Hurricane's move to the back of the line allowed everyone else behind them to move up one spot.
For a breakdown of AA games played in Week 4, go here.
Here’s a glimpse at the updated rankings, with the previous week’s rankings in parenthesis:
1. (1) Benedictine (3-0)
2. (2) Hapeville Charter (3-1)
3. (3) Screven County (2-0)
4. (5) Rabun County (3-0)
5. (6) Callaway (3-0)
6. (7) Thomasville (3-0)
7. (8) Brooks County (2-0)
8. (9) Jefferson County (3-0)
9. (10) Dodge County (2-0)
10. (4) Fitzgerald (1-3)
- Thomasville Bulldogs coach Zach Grage was honored Monday by the Atlanta Falcons as their Coach of the Week . Grage has the Bulldogs off to a 3-0 start, outscoring Cairo, Thomas County Central and Monroe by a combined 123-22.
- RecruitGeorgia recently profiled Thomasville quarterback JT Rice.
- Here's a glimpse at how one of the state's most successful quarterbacks — Rabun County's Bailey Fisher — prepares during weekly practice.
- After playing its scrimmage and season opener at Valhalla, Pepperell played its first true home game Friday in the newly renovated Lynn Hunnicutt Field at Dragon Stadium.
- The Swainsboro Tigers are 3-0 for the first time since 2010, which is the last year they had a winning record.
- WJCL's highlights include Benedictine's win on Thursday night.
- Toombs County is 3-0 thanks to a game-winning field goal by Rig Tinoco , which lifted the Bulldogs to a 20-19 win over Telfair County. ToombsNow has the highlights. The Bulldogs are 3-0 for the first time since 2007.
- This week's WDUN's highlights include Rabun County's win over White County. The Blitz also has highlights from the game.
- Callaway's DQ Wilkerson had two punt returns for touchdowns in the Cavaliers' 44-13 win over Columbus. Both returns were for more than 70 yards according to the LaGrange Daily News' Kevin Eckleberry.
- WJBF has the rundown of games for Region 4's Harlem, Jefferson County, Josey, Glenn Hills and Westside.
- WSB-TV has a great highlight of Hapeville Charter's Harper Atkins.
- Speaking of Hapeville Charter, running back Tyleek Collins might be in trouble .
- The best part of Sunday practice: watermelon .
“AA in brief” runs every Tuesday. Is there something you’d like to see in this space? Follow and reach out to us on Twitter.