Ever wish a world-class chef would teach you how to cook?
You can get at least one dish under your belt from Chef Marcus Samuelsson , who taught us how to make Double-Dragon Rice with Grilled Shrimp, a recipe from his new "Red Rooster Cookbook," live during an appearance in Atlanta last week.
Check out the demo here, and keep scrolling down for the complete recipe.
Double-Dragon Rice with Grilled Shrimp
From The Red Rooster Cookbook by Marcus Samuelsson (HMH 2016)
Yields 4 servings
FOR THE RICE
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon rice powder
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 poblano chiles, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ teaspoon shrimp powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1 tablespoon chopped kimchi
FOR THE SHRIMP
- 4 or 8 head-on shrimp
- Olive oil
- Coarse kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Smoked paprika
- 1 lime, quartered vertically
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
FOR THE RICE
- Cover the rice with cold water and soak overnight.
- Drain the rice and put it in a saucepan with the water. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Cover, turn the heat down to low, and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat. Put a kitchen towel over the pot, put the lid on tightly, and steam the rice for 10 minutes. Spread the rice out onto a rimmed baking sheet and cool completely.
- Rinse the rice, separating all the kernels, and dry thoroughly on kitchen towels.
- Combine the rice powder, brown sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Add half the rice and toss.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When it is almost smoking, add the coated rice and stir-fry until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain the rice and spread it out on paper towels.
- Combine the bacon, chiles, garlic, and ginger in a large skillet over medium heat and cook, stirring often, until the bacon browns, about 10 minutes. Add the other half of the rice and the shrimp powder and cook, stirring, until the rice is hot. Taste for salt and pepper, then stir in the fried rice, eggs, lime juice, and kimchi. Take the skillet off the heat while you make the shrimp.
FOR THE SHRIMP
- Rub the shrimp with olive oil and season with salt, pepper, and smoked paprika.
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat. When it’s hot, grill the shrimp and lime for 3 minutes per side. The shrimp should be almost cooked through (residual heat will finish the job), and the lime should be charred.
- Divide the rice among four plates. Top each serving with shrimp and a shower of cilantro and garnish with the grilled lime.