CHARLOTTE--The Hawks are in town to face the Hornets and Dwight Howard, a native of Atlanta who played for the Hawks season. At Hornets shootaround today I asked Howard about the perception that he was a negative influence on the locker room during his time with the Hawks. His answer is in the video above. ( Here is an article about the award he references .)
In June new Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk traded center Dwight Howard to the Hornets. At the time, The AJC's Chris Vivlamore, then the Hawks beat writer, wrote an analysis in which he opined that he believed the Hawks made the move because they didn't want Howard's "negative influence" around a young, rebuilding team.
Then last month, on his ESPN podcast, Zach Lowe said Howard's Hawks teammates were happy to see him go. Lowe's fellow ESPN writer, Kevin Arnovitz, said that Howard is a "downer" when he believes he's not involved enough in the offense.
Second-year Hawks guard Malcolm Delaney subsequently cast doubt on those comments:
Update: I caught up with Dennis Schroder at Hawks shootaround. Schroder was benched after arguing with Howard during a game against the Warriors last season, a sequence that led to an open three-pointer. I asked Schroder about Howard's time with the team and his relationship with his ex-teammate:
"Off the court he is a good guy," Schroder said. "He did a great job trying to bring everybody together, as always. On the court we are too different. That’s on the court. But off the court, I think (he's) amazing."
How are he and Howard different?
"Personalities," Schroder said. "I’m a little different than everybody, I think. I always just try to do everything I can to win the game. I’m too competitive, sometimes."
- WATCH: Dwight Howard says 'stupid' to believe reports he was negative influence on Hawks
- Dennis Schroder puts on a good show for new-look Hawks
- Marco Belinelli 'still not 100 percent' but shows he can help Hawks
- WATCH: Hawks guard Josh Magette makes NBA debut at age 27
- Ten observations from Hawks victory at Mavs
- Hawks begin longest-ever trip to start season but opponents not fearsome
- Bettors back Hawks to exceed expectations
- Hawks practice report: 'Gifted and talented' defensively, 'learning curve' on offense
- Will the Hawks be NBA's worst team? Experts make their predictions
- Hawks agree to contract with point guard Isaiah Taylor
- Hawks practice report: Budenholzer 'open' to 11-man rotation
- WATCH: Awful 'overtime' period at Hawks scrimmage
- WATCH: DeAndre' Bembry reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Taurean Prince reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Hawks coach Budenholzer explains why team kept Magette over Cook
- Hawks exercise 2018-19 contract options for Prince, Bembry
- Hawks roster set. Here's what it looks like
- Hawks to net two more draft picks in trade with Cavs
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore says Hawks ready for season
- Five observations from Hawks loss to Mavericks (exhibition)
- Hawks want to run but know 'it's not easy'
- Hawks practice report: Transition D still priority over offensive boards
- New Hawks style suits Bembry
- Hawks practice report: Belinelli 'for sure' he'll be ready for season opener
- Hawks say 'scrappy' style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don't win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)
- NBA GMs: Collins is draft 'steal,' Budenholzer among best game coaches
- The best Hawks lineup, for now and the future
- Dewayne Dedmon immediately shows he can help the Hawks
- Five observations from Hawks loss at Heat (exhibition)
- Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he's ready to lead Hawks
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he's fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore 'in love with the grind again'
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: 'People didn't understand everything I had to go through'
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to 'practice harder' so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder's show
- 'Greater pace, greater space' for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: 'Excited' about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: 'We are going to be competitive'