The Hawks’ roster is set for now after the team released Quinn Cook, Jeremy Evans and Tyler Cavanaugh on Friday night.
Cook is the most surprising of the cuts. The Hawks signed Cook as a possible third point guard and paid him $100,000 guaranteed. But the team released Cook before he was owed another $300,000 on Wednesday and now have Josh Magette as the third point guard on the roster.
Cavanaugh’s contract includes $50,000 guaranteed. He’s expected to join the Hawks’ G-League affiliate in Erie, Pa., if he clears waivers.
The Hawks’ roster now stands at 14 players, one less than the maximum. That doesn’t include Magette, who is on a “two-way” contract that allows a maximum of 45 days on the NBA roster with the balance of the season spent at the team’s G-League affiliate.
The Hawks have 12 players with fully guaranteed contracts. Two players have partially guaranteed contracts: Luke Babbitt and Nicolas Brussino.
Half of Babbitt‘s $2 million salary is guaranteed and the rest becomes guaranteed Dec. 14. All but $400,000 of Brussino’s $1.3 million salary is guaranteed. By rule, the balance of each player’s contract becomes guaranteed if they are on the roster after Jan. 7.
Here is my best guess at the projected Hawks’ depth chart, based on how coach Mike Budenholzer distributed minutes over the final two exhibition games and with the reality that the wing and front-court positions are interchangeable. (Marco Belinelli is slotted where he’ll be once he’s healthy).
Point guard: Dennis Schroder, Malcolm Delaney, Josh Magette
Shooting guard: Kent Bazemore, Marco Belinelli, DeAndre’ Bembry, Tyler Dorsey
Small forward: Taurean Prince, DeAndre’ Bembry, Luke Babbitt, Nicolas Brussino
Power forward: Ersan Ilyasova, John Collins, Mike Muscala
Center: Dewayne Dedmon, Mike Muscala, John Collins, Miles Plumlee*
*Out for at least two weeks because of injury
- Hawks to net two more draft picks in trade with Cavs
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore says Hawks ready for season
- Five observations from Hawks loss to Mavericks (exhibition)
- Hawks want to run but know 'it's not easy'
- Hawks practice report: Transition D still priority over offensive boards
- New Hawks style suits Bembry
- Hawks practice report: Belinelli 'for sure' he'll be ready for season opener
- Hawks say 'scrappy' style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don't win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)
- NBA GMs: Collins is draft 'steal,' Budenholzer among best game coaches
- The best Hawks lineup, for now and the future
- Dewayne Dedmon immediately shows he can help the Hawks
- Five observations from Hawks loss at Heat (exhibition)
- Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he's ready to lead Hawks
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he's fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore 'in love with the grind again'
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: 'People didn't understand everything I had to go through'
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to 'practice harder' so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder's show
- 'Greater pace, greater space' for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: 'Excited' about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: 'We are going to be competitive'
- Five things to watch at Hawks training camp
- Hawks player preview: Dennis Schroder
- Hawks player preview: Taurean Prince
- Hawks player preview: Miles Plumlee
- Hawks player preview: Mike Muscala
- Hawks player preview: Ersan Ilyasova
- Hawks player preview: Tyler Dorsey
- Hawks player preview: Malcolm Delaney
- Hawks player preview: Dewayne Dedmon
- Hawks player preview: Quinn Cook
- Hawks player preview: John Collins
- Hawks player preview: Nicolas Brussino
- Hawks player preview: DeAndre' Bembry
- Hawks player preview: Marco Belinelli
- Hawks player preview: Kent Bazemore
- Hawks player preview: Luke Babbitt