Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said the Hawks will use the same starting five he's used much of the preseason at Dallas to open the season: Dennis Schroder, Kent Bazemore, Taurean Prince, Ersan Ilyasova and Dewayne Dedmon. Budenholzer thinks that can be a good group on defense.
“I usually start with individually, they are pretty gifted and talented,” Budenholzer said. “Dewayne as a center, a guy that can cover ground, be good in pick-and-rolls and block shots and rebound. Ersan, I think the things he does kind of goes under the radar: the charges, kind of the nitty-gritty plays. He has a strength and a toughness at the power forward.
“And then Taurean and Baze and Dennis — I think individually each of them are pretty good. Collectively, when they are active and kind of on the same page — which, getting Dewayne with those other four guys that at least finished the season with us last year — I think they just have a chance to be good defensively.”
I agree that the starting five will be good defensively. I think they’ll have trouble scoring (maybe even more so than the second unit). There’s just not a lot of consistent play-making or shooting and, really, the two best shooters are on the bench (see chart).
But I could be wrong. If it turns out I am wrong, I’ll say so.
(Edited to add: The shooting numbers for Hawks players are projected by the Simple Rating System at Basketball-Reference.)
Anyway, Budenholzer said earlier in the preseason that Hawks players first would have to learn the principles of the new offense before they can play “randomly” within it. How is that process going?
“It depends on the day and the possession, probably,” Budenholzer said. “I think it’s all to be expected. I think there is probably going to be some of that learning curve for a while. I think when you play with an offense with a lot of movement, a lot of reads and reactions, it’s going to kind of ebb and flow a little bit. I think it’s part of what makes it good and effective. But there’s definitely a learning curve where we probably will want it to be better."
Budenholzer said new point guard Isaiah Taylor will join the Hawks in Dallas tomorrow. ...
Josh Magette is traveling with the team. As a two-way player he's limited to 45 days on the NBA roster (with an NBA salary) but that clock doesn't start ticking until G-League training camps begin on Tuesday. ...
The Hawks said today was their last session on the Philips Arena practice court. The new facility in Brookhaven awaits them when they return from five-game trip to open the season.
- Will the Hawks be NBA's worst team? Experts make their predictions
- Hawks agree to contract with point guard Isaiah Taylor
- Hawks practice report: Budenholzer 'open' to 11-man rotation
- WATCH: Awful 'overtime' period at Hawks scrimmage
- WATCH: DeAndre' Bembry reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Taurean Prince reacts to Hawks picking up his contract option
- WATCH: Hawks coach Budenholzer explains why team kept Magette over Cook
- Hawks exercise 2018-19 contract options for Prince, Bembry
- Hawks roster set. Here's what it looks like
- Hawks to net two more draft picks in trade with Cavs
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore says Hawks ready for season
- Five observations from Hawks loss to Mavericks (exhibition)
- Hawks want to run but know 'it's not easy'
- Hawks practice report: Transition D still priority over offensive boards
- New Hawks style suits Bembry
- Hawks practice report: Belinelli 'for sure' he'll be ready for season opener
- Hawks say 'scrappy' style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don't win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)
- NBA GMs: Collins is draft 'steal,' Budenholzer among best game coaches
- The best Hawks lineup, for now and the future
- Dewayne Dedmon immediately shows he can help the Hawks
- Five observations from Hawks loss at Heat (exhibition)
- Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he's ready to lead Hawks
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he's fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore 'in love with the grind again'
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: 'People didn't understand everything I had to go through'
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to 'practice harder' so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder's show
- 'Greater pace, greater space' for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: 'Excited' about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: 'We are going to be competitive'
- Five things to watch at Hawks training camp
- Hawks player preview: Dennis Schroder
- Hawks player preview: Taurean Prince
- Hawks player preview: Miles Plumlee
- Hawks player preview: Mike Muscala
- Hawks player preview: Ersan Ilyasova
- Hawks player preview: Tyler Dorsey
- Hawks player preview: Malcolm Delaney
- Hawks player preview: Dewayne Dedmon
- Hawks player preview: Quinn Cook
- Hawks player preview: John Collins
- Hawks player preview: Nicolas Brussino
- Hawks player preview: DeAndre' Bembry
- Hawks player preview: Marco Belinelli
- Hawks player preview: Kent Bazemore
- Hawks player preview: Luke Babbitt