Hawks guard Marco Belinelli played in the first exhibition game but developed soreness in his left Achilles and has missed the past three. He said the plan is to participate in some five-on-five scrimmage during practice on Wednesday and, if that goes well, play in the exhibition finale on Thursday.
After playing 1,778 minutes for the Hornets last season Belinelli logged 223 minutes for the Italian national team during the Eurobasket 2017 tournament. He said he’s not sure if the soreness is related to playing in the international tournament.
“I don’t know why,” Belinelli said today after doing some shooting drills following practice. “I was good when I was here first days in Atlanta. Then I played a game against Miami (and) I think everything start from there. Or maybe (it’s) sore from the national team. I don’t know about that. I feel good right now. We’ll see. The important thing is to be ready for the season.”
Belinelli, 31, said he “for sure” would be ready for the Oct. 18 season opener even if he doesn’t play on Thursday.
The Hawks play the Mavericks on Thursday and then play at Dallas in the first regular-season game next week. Basketball is not football—there are no elaborate changes in game plans or usage of personnel from game-to-game. Still, Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer still isn’t sure how he will approach Thursday’s contest as far as strategy and usage of his regulars.
“I’ve gone back and forth and I haven’t come to a final decision,” he said. “It’s a little strange to finish with a team that you are then going to play on opening night. I don’t know, maybe coach Rick (Carlisle) likes it. For sure it’s not my ideal scenario and I wouldn’t think most coaches’ ideal scenario.
“But it’s there. It’s not like we are reinventing the wheel. Coach Carlisle can. He’s actually pretty amazing.”
- Hawks say 'scrappy' style gives them chance to exceed expectations
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on his NBA development
- Five observations from Hawks victory over Grizzlies (exhibition)
- Dewayne Dedmon (!) to shoot 3s as Hawks seek floor spacing
- Hawks waive John Jenkins, Jordan Matthews
- Can Hawks be fun to watch even if they don't win many games?
- Five observations from Hawks victory at Cavs (exhibition)
- NBA GMs: Collins is draft 'steal,' Budenholzer among best game coaches
- The best Hawks lineup, for now and the future
- Dewayne Dedmon immediately shows he can help the Hawks
- Five observations from Hawks loss at Heat (exhibition)
- Dennis Schroder is arrested, and I wonder if he's ready to lead Hawks
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he's fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore 'in love with the grind again'
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: 'People didn't understand everything I had to go through'
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to 'practice harder' so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder's show
- 'Greater pace, greater space' for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: 'Excited' about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: 'We are going to be competitive'
- Five things to watch at Hawks training camp
- Hawks player preview: Dennis Schroder
- Hawks player preview: Taurean Prince
- Hawks player preview: Miles Plumlee
- Hawks player preview: Mike Muscala
- Hawks player preview: Ersan Ilyasova
- Hawks player preview: Tyler Dorsey
- Hawks player preview: Malcolm Delaney
- Hawks player preview: Dewayne Dedmon
- Hawks player preview: Quinn Cook
- Hawks player preview: John Collins
- Hawks player preview: Nicolas Brussino
- Hawks player preview: DeAndre' Bembry
- Hawks player preview: Marco Belinelli
- Hawks player preview: Kent Bazemore
- Hawks player preview: Luke Babbitt