When/where: Noon today, Madison Square Garden
TV: Fox Sports Southeast
Stream: Fox Sports Go
Radio: 92.9 The Game
Injuries: Hawks—DeAndre’ Bembry (groin) is out.
Knicks—Ron Baker (shoulder) and Joakim Noah (excused absence) are out.
What to watch for: The Hawks have lost five of their last six games, in large part because their defense has regressed after a good month. Over the past six games the Hawks allowed 116.3 points per 100 possessions, the worst mark by far over that stretch. It’s nearly four points worse than the Nets and Suns, who are tied for 29th over that stretch.
Before the Hawks lost to the Celtics on Friday, coach Mike Budenholzer said he wasn’t sure why his team’s defense has fallen off.
“Individually, we’ve got to be better on the ball,” he said. “Our activity, getting to 50/50 balls and loose balls. I can’t really put my finger on why we’ve slipped back, though, to be honest with you. I thought we were playing a lot better defensively. Hopefully we can turn that tide back and get to where we are playing really good on that end of the court.”
The Knicks have lost five of their last six games to slide to the fringes of the Eastern Conference playoff picture. Two nights before the Celtics routed the Hawks without Kyrie Irving they did the same to the Knicks. The Knicks then lost at the Bucks on Friday to end a stretch of 16 games out of 20 on the road.
Ex-Hawks guard Tim Hardaway Jr. went 1-for-14 from the field against the Bucks after he was 1 for-10 against the Celtics.
The Hawks are facing the Knicks for the third and final time this season after the teams split the previous meetings. The Hawks won 116-104 on Nov. 24 at Philips Arena and the Knicks won 111-107 on Dec. 10 at Madison Square Garden.
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Celtics
- Hawks: The case for keeping Kent Bazemore
- Which Hawks player has the most trade value?
- After 'begging and waiting' for chance, Hawks rookie Dorsey cracks rotation
- Watch: Bazemore does it all to lift Hawks past Timberwolves
- Ten observations from Hawks victory over Timberwolves
- Mock draft roundup: Will Hawks take Doncic, Ayton or Bagley?
- Draft lottery watch: Can Hawks hold off Kings for top spot?
- Ten observations from Hawks loss to Wizards
- Hawks: Taurean Prince still searching for consistency in Year 2
- Ten observations from Hawks loss to Raptors
- Bazemore on trade rumors: 'If up to me, I want to bring a championship here'
- Ten observations from Hawks victory over Jazz
- Ten observations from Hawks loss to Bulls
- With Hawks, Dewayne Dedmon shows he can be more than NBA backup