When/where: 3 p.m. today, Quicken Loans Arena
TV: Fox Sports Southeast
Stream: Fox Sports Go
Injuries: Hawks—Mike Muscala (knee), Ersan Ilyasova (knee), DeAndre' Bembry (wrist) and Miles Plumlee (quad) are out; Malcolm Delaney (ankle) is doubtful; Dennis Schroder (ankle), and Marco Belinelli (Achilles) are probable.
Cavs—Isaiah Thomas (hip), Iman Shumpert (knee) and Tristan Thompson (calf) are out.
What to watch for:
The Hawks have lost eight games in a row since winning the opener at Dallas and are 11 ½-point underdogs to the Cavs. Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer has never lost nine games in a row during his four years as head coach or 17 years as a Spurs assistant.
Budenholzer said he’s concerned that the losing may be wearing on his players but what about the head coach?
“Same for me,” he said. “There is some level of frustration but there have been a lot of times there are positives we can draw on. The effort and things have been there. We’ve got to continue to get better. That’s one of the messages (Saturday): Can we get better today? And we had a good practice.”
Muscala is the latest addition the Hawks’ lengthy injury list. He didn’t travel with the team to Cleveland after playing 19 minutes in the loss to the Rockets on Friday. Muscala has started the past five of the past six games at power forward as Ilyasova recovers from his injury.
The injuries to Muscala, Ilysasova and Plumlee leave the Hawks thin in the front court with Dewayne Dedmon, John Collins and Luke Babbitt. The Hawks added depth on Sunday by signing forward Tyler Cavanaugh to a two-way contract.
The Cavaliers ended a four-game losing streak on Friday with a 130-122 victory at the Wizards. LeBron James tied a franchise record with 57 points while making 23 of 34 shots and all nine of his free-throw attempts.
- As Hawks losses pile up, Budenholzer says 'I don't worry about it being accepted'
- WATCH: Kent Bazemore on James Harden: 'I learned a lot playing against him'
- Ten observations from Hawks loss to Rockets
- Hawks have many issues but 3-point defense near the top
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Sixers
- Is center really the best fit for Hawks rookie John Collins?
- Hawks opponents are off and running
- Ten observations from Hawks loss to Bucks
- WATCH: Bazemore on Hawks: 'We are fighting. We've got to learn how to win games.'
- Ten observations from Hawks loss to Nuggets
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Bulls
- NBA draft lottery watch: Hawks move up (down) in projected standings
- WATCH: Hawks coach Budenholzer on rookie John Collins' role
- New Hawks practice facility sparkles but will it really attract free agents?
- John Collins might be most productive rookie so far
- Hawks already facing 'tough year' of playing hard but losing
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Heat
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Nets
- WATCH: Hawks rookie John Collins on first game vs. Dwight Howard
- Ten observations from Hawks loss at Hornets
- WATCH: Dwight Howard says 'stupid' to believe reports he was negative influence on Hawks
- Dennis Schroder puts on a good show for new-look Hawks
- Marco Belinelli 'still not 100 percent' but shows he can help Hawks
- WATCH: Hawks guard Josh Magette makes NBA debut at age 27
- Ten observations from Hawks victory at Mavs
- Hawks begin longest-ever trip to start season but opponents not fearsome
- Bettors back Hawks to exceed expectations