Brookhaven Police arrested Hawks guard Dennis Schroder at 2 a.m. this morning on a misdemeanor battery charge. I never take a police report as gospel truth ( remember Thabo Sefolosha ?) and Schroder is entitled to his day in court. But this is not a good look for the player the Hawks have spent the past week touting as more mature and ready to lead , with Schroder echoing the same .
According to the police report, a video of the incident showed Schroder “initiate contact” with the victim in the parking lot outside of a hookah bar on Buford Highway. Police say Schroder and three other people later all struck the victim with their hands and feet.
Again, that’s just what the police report says. We don’t know the circumstances that led up to the alleged incident. And I’ll never be the one to tsk-tsk players for being out late when they don’t have to work anytime soon (the Hawks are off today). I shrugged off the news about Dwight Howard’s traffic tickets .
But if there’s video that shows what the police say it shows, then it was a spectacularly dumb and immature move by Schroder. He's the best Hawks player left during this rebuild. He’s a budding star at 24 years old, and the Hawks need this to be his team. They are showcasing Schroder heavily in their marketing push.
With so much at stake, what the hell is Schroder doing (allegedly) getting in a fight outside of a hookah bar? Incidents like this just reinforce the perception that Schroder is not ready to be the face of the Hawks.
- Is Mike Budenholzer on board with Hawks rebuild?
- Will NBA draft lottery changes hurt Hawks?
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Belinelli says he's fitting in fast with new team
- Now healthy, Hawks Bazemore 'in love with the grind again'
- VIDEO: Hawks guard Schroder on leadership, featured role in offense
- VIDEO: Hawks coach Budenholzer on offensive tweaks
- Malcolm Delaney: 'People didn't understand everything I had to go through'
- Here are the details on Hawks contracts
- Hawks to 'practice harder' so they can play faster
- Hawks now are Schroder's show
- 'Greater pace, greater space' for Hawks? Sounds good
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A Part 2: 'Excited' about 2018 draft class
- Hawks GM Travis Schlenk Q-and-A: 'We are going to be competitive'
- Five things to watch at Hawks training camp
- Hawks player preview: Dennis Schroder
- Hawks player preview: Taurean Prince
- Hawks player preview: Miles Plumlee
- Hawks player preview: Mike Muscala
- Hawks player preview: Ersan Ilyasova
- Hawks player preview: Tyler Dorsey
- Hawks player preview: Malcolm Delaney
- Hawks player preview: Dewayne Dedmon
- Hawks player preview: Quinn Cook
- Hawks player preview: John Collins
- Hawks player preview: Nicolas Brussino
- Hawks player preview: DeAndre' Bembry
- Hawks player preview: Marco Belinelli
- Hawks player preview: Kent Bazemore
- Hawks player preview: Luke Babbitt