The AJC’s D. Orlando Ledbetter and Liz Gonzales chat about what to expect from the Falcons in the air, on the ground and on the other side of ball against the Panthers.
FLOWERY BRANCH -- After posting a thrilling 45-32 victory over the New Orleans Saints, the Falcons (2-1) will host the Carolina Panthers (1-2) at 1. p.m. Sunday at the Georgia Dome.
Here are five things to know about the Falcons on Wednesday:
1. Practice. The Falcons had Tuesday off and return to practice today at 1:45 p.m. The Falcons did not workout any players on Monday or Tuesday.
2. Thumbs up for Ryan. Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan will participate in practice after banging his left thumb.
3. Sanu to be limited. Falcons wide receiver Mohamed Sanu injured his shoulder against the Saints. He will be limited in practice, but is expected to play against the Panthers.
4. Power rankings. The Falcons have moved up in The Atlanta Journal-Constitution's latest power rankings.
5. The Newton Rules. The NFL long has protected its quarterbacks, even when the league showed little interest in the health of players at other positions. There is a financial incentive: the quarterbacks usually are the marquee names, they are the highest-paid players on average and they are the most difficult players to replace.
GAME THREE: Falcons 45, Saints 32
GAME TWO: Falcons 35, Raiders 28
GAME ONE: Buccaneers 31, Falcons 24