FLOWERY BRANCH – With the league meetings completed, the countdown to the NFL draft can start. The draft is set for April 28-30 in Chicago.
Here are 5 things to know about the Falcons on Monday:
1. Upshaw to sign: The Falcons, who are re-vamping their linebacker unit, agreed to terms on a one-year contract with former Baltimore Ravens and Alabama outside linebacker Courtney Upshaw on Friday. Upshaw will be counted on to add toughness to the defensive front seven and will play the Leo/outside linebacker position. His signing is unrelated to strongside linebacker Brooks Reed. Upshaw should be in early this week to sign the deal.
2. South Carolina roadtrip: The Falcons visited South Carolina for a private workout.
Tight end Jerell Adams, wide receiver Pharoh Cooper, offensive tackle Brandon Shell and running back Brandon Wilds were the South Carolina players invited to the combine.
Shell’s great uncle is NFL Hall of Famer Art Shell, who coached the Falcons’ offensive line form 1997-2000 and was therefore on coach Dan Reeves’ Super Bowl staff.
3. Boykin to visit Panthers: Brandon Boykin, who starred at Georgia, before playing at Philadelphia and Pittsburgh is scheduled to visit
Carolina on Monday, according to the Charlotte Observer.
4. Salary cap update: According to the NFLPA’s public salary cap report (Top 51), the Falcons have 60 players under contract, $3,905,771 in previous year carryover, $149,599,528 in team cap and are $9,202,143 under the cap.
5. Cheerleader auditions: The last prep class before the cheerleader auditions start is set for April 23. For more information on trying to make Falcons’ cheer squad
FREE AGENCY STORIES
Falcons' Dan Quinn loyal to Shanahan, staff, amid heat
Linebacker Jerrell Freeman won't be joining Falcons
Falcons mulit-level free agency makeover underway
Weatherspoon hopes to revive career, where it started
Falcons, O'Brien Schofield at impasse
Falcons agree to five-year deal with center Alex Mack
Mohamed Sanu: 'I'm not trying to fill anybody's shoes'
2016 NFL COMBINE COVERAGE
Alabama defensive tackles (A'Shawn and Jarran) are NFL-ready
Falcons defensive line coach Bryan Cox gets into shoving match at NFL combine
Floyd, Jenkins are stellar NFL prospects
Firm helps NFL prospects prepare for newfound wealth -- 7 financial pitfalls they'll face
Ex-Georgia linebacker Jordan Jenkins has met with the Falcons
Clemson's Shaq Lawson interviewed with the Falcons
Nkemdiche has uphill battle to improve NFL draft status
Nkemdiche would love to play for the Falcons
14 questions with Georgia Tech standout Adam Gotsis
Falcons checking out interior linemen at the combine
18 questions with Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff
Quinn still evaluating the roster -- Nothing new on Roddy White
7 players the Falcons are watching at the combine
13 questions with Falcons coach Dan Quinn
5 questions with Duke punter Will Monday (Flowery Branch High)
26 State prospects hope to make impact at NFL combine
ATLANTA FALCONS OFFSEASON STORIES
Synthetic turf chosen for Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Falcons cheerleader training session on Saturday
Falcons' Smith leaving to run Ohio State's alumni association
5 positions for the Falcons to shore up
Dimitroff, Quinn have activated the '100-day' plan
Stay or go: Pick Falcons' defense
Stay or go: Pick Falcons' offense
Falcons owner Arthur Blank vows to fight cancer, move on Super Bowl bid
Here's what Blank is facing medically
Falcons released safety William Moore, linebacker Justin Durant
Falcons' Matt Ryan picks Panthers win Super Bowl 50
Arthur Blank on Dimitroff, PSLs and Super Bowl bid
Falcons leaning toward keeping Roddy White