The Falcons are 6-4 at the bye and have a major issue to figure out moving forward. The AJC’s D. Orlando Ledbetter and Noah Coslov get into that and the Falcons place amongst the NFC’s best.
FLOWERY BRANCH --The Falcons (6-4) are off this week, but are set to face the Arizona Cardinals (4-4-1) when they return to action at 1 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 27 at the Georgia Dome.
The Cardinals play at Minnesota (5-4) at 1 p.m. on Sunday, if you'd like to do some TV scouting.
Here are five things to know about the Falcons on Friday:
1. NFC South update. The Panthers did the Falcons a solid by knocking off the Saints 23-20 on Thursday Night Football. Now, the Falcons have a two-game lead over both of the 4-6 teams. Tampa Bay (4-5) plays at Kansas City (7-2) at 1 p.m. on Sunday.
2. Falcons for the Hall of Fame. The 25 semifinalists for the next class in the Pro Football Hall of Fame includes former Falcons players Morten Andersen, Mike Kenn, Chris Hinton and Clay Matthews and former Georgia Bulldogs Hines Ward and Terrell Davis.
Longtime NFL writer Rick Gosselin wrote an article titled: "No Falcon love in Canton" for the Talk of Fame Sports Network.
The article discusses how Tommy Nobis has been overlooked while Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke went right in. All were on the All-60s team. George Kunz, Jeff Van Note, Kenn and Bill Fralic have been over looked, too. Hinton has picked up some steam for this year.
3. Practice. The Falcons return to practice on Monday after the bye week. Cornerback Desmond Trufant (shoulder) and running back Tevin Coleman (hamstring) are expected back by coach Dan Quinn.
4. Neal's hit. Eagles coach Doug Pederson
said the NFL told him a penalty should have been called for the hit that
Falcons rookie strong safety Keanu Neal put on wide receiver Jordan Matthews. We should know by 4 p.m. today if Neal was fined for the play.
5. Giving Thanks. In celebration of Thanksgiving, fullback Patrick DiMarco will provide a catered Thanksgiving meal to 125 men from the Shepherd’s Inn, the men’s facility of the Atlanta Mission on Monday, November 21. Falcons players will prepare and serve Thanksgiving lunch to the homeless at Crossroads Community Ministries for the eighth straight season on Tuesday, November 22. The Falcons Feast presented by Publix will provide more than 750 families with a full meal on Tuesday, November 22 to take home and cook on Thanksgiving, courtesy of Atlanta Falcons players, the Arthur M. Blank Foundation and Publix. In celebration of Thanksgiving, kicker Matt Bryant, punter Matt Bosher and long snapper Josh Harris will provide a catered Thanksgiving meal to 300 women and children from My Sister’s House, the women’s and children’s facility of the Atlanta Mission, on Tuesday, November 22.
NFL Power Rankings: Falcons still among NFC elite?
GAME 10: Eagles 24, Falcons 15
5 things we learned from the Falcons' loss to the Eagles
Ryan, offense slowed down to a crawl
Perkins stalls key drive with costly penalty
Defense gets blown of the line of scrimmage
Keanu Neal can expect fine but Falcons' biggest issue is injuries (Trufant and Tamme)
Falcons go into bye week wrong way -- beat up by Eagles
What Dan Quinn had to say after the loss to the Eagles
What Matt Ryan had to say after the loss to the Eagles
What the Falcons had to say after the loss to the Eagles
PHOTOS: Falcons fall to the Eagles
5 things we learned from the Falcons' rout of the Bucs
GAME SEVEN: Chargers 33, Falcons 30 in OT
5 things we learned from the Falcons loss to the Chargers
Dan Quinn's gamble with house-money backfires
6 penalties 'unacceptable' for Falcons offensive line
Philip Rivers confounds Falcons with short passes: 'He picked us apart'
Matt Ryan's late-game interception leads to overtime loss
PHOTOS: Chargers rally to beat Falcons
GAME SIX: Seahawks 26, Falcons 24
5 things we learned from the Falcons loss to the Seahawks
MARK BRADLEY: The Falcons didn't win, but they made one guy believe (me)
MARK BRADLEY: The Falcons got jobbed but did themselves proud
Matt Ryan's turnovers were costly
What Dan Quinn had to say after the 26-24 loss to Seattle
Seattle slows down Falcons' running backs Freeman, Coleman
Ryan Schraeder, offensive line rebounds in second half
Julio Jones: 'It was just a missed call'
What the Falcons had to say after the 26-24 loss to Seattle
What Matt Ryan had to say after the 26-24 loss to Seattle
Richard Sherman non-commital on pass interference non-call
PHOTOS: Falcons at Seahawks in Seattle
GAME FIVE: Falcons 23, Broncos 16
5 things we learned from the Falcons upset of Super Bowl champs
MARK BRADLEY: The Falcons rock a rookie in the Rockies
What Dan Quinn have to say after the win over Denver
Coleman amassed 163 yards to power the offense
Vic Beasley has breakout game with 3.5 sacks
Kemal Ishmael moved to linebacker, led team in tackles
What the Falcons had to say after the win over the Broncos
Photos: Falcons battle the Broncos
GAME FOUR: Falcons 48, Panthers 33
5 things we learned from the Falcons' 48-33 win over the Panthers
Tweetcap: Falcons 48, Panthers 33
Old pro Freeney shows new trick with Falcons
Falcons' rookie Neal holds on vs. Olsen
What Julio Jones had to say after the 48-33 win over the Panthers
What Dan Quinn had to say after the 48-33 win over the Panthers
What Matt Ryan had to say after the 48-33 win over the Panthers
Alford battled; Collins to return
Early view in NFC South isn't what most expected; Falcons on top
GAME THREE: Falcons 45, Saints 32
5 things we learned from the Falcons' 45-32 win over the Saints
Falcons, Saints protest with unity circle before game
REPORT CARD: Falcons earned high marks for drubbing Saints
What Dan Quinn had to say after the 45-32 win over the Saints
What Matt Ryan had to say after the 45-32 win over the Saints
What the Falcons had to say after the 45-32 win over the Saints
Keanu Neal makes strong debut for Falcons
Falcons' Deion Jones runs for glory, not survival, in return home
AJC POWER RANKINGS: Falcons best in NFC South?
GAME TWO: Falcons 35, Raiders 28
5 things we learned from the Falcons' win over the Raiders
Trufant's heads-up play saves the day
Tight ends help to power offense
Weatherspoon plays strong in first start since 2013
Matthews, Schraeder held Mack sack-less
JEFF SCHULTZ: Falcons put on offensive show and win
What Matt Ryan had to say after beating the Raiders
What Dan Quinn had to say after the win over the Raiders
GAME ONE: Buccaneers 31, Falcons 24
5 things we learned from the Falcons' loss to the Bucs
No sacks for new-look Falcons pass rush
Julio Jones not worried about his ankle injury
Falcons have a case of the "no-huddle" blues
REPORT CARD: Falcons can't 'gift' opponents 17 points
FILM REVIEW: Beasley missing in action
AJC'S NFL POWER RANKINGS: Where are the Falcons?
Hageman charged is domestic violence case