FLOWERY BRANCH – Falcons coach Dan Quinn was pleased with the work of the team on the first day of the mandatory minicamp on Tuesday.
Here are seven quick takes from the practice:
1. Rookie linebackers. Falcons rookie linebackers Deion Jones and De’Vondre Campbell lined up with the first-team defense.
Veteran linebacker Philip Wheeler lined up at weakside linebacker. Jones, a second round pick from LSU, was in the middle and Campbell, a fourth-round pick from Minnesota, was at the weakside spot.
2. Chester returns to practice. Falcons starting right guard Chris Chester, who had offseason surgery, returned to practice.
Chester, 33, who started all 16 games and played 1,140 offensive snaps (100 percent), lined up at right guard with the third-team offense.
3. Right guard battle. Veteran Tom Compton and rookie Wes Schweitzer got some action with the first-team offense at right guard.
4. Injury report. Defensive tackle Grady Jarrett (tendinitis knee) returned to practice.
Both Jarrett and Chester missed the open OTA sessions over the past three weeks.
Returner Devin Hester (foot) and center James Stone (knee) did not participate in the minicamp practice.
5. Cornerback update. Falcons cornerback C.J. Goodwin, who’s being converted from wide receiver, had an interception on the last play of practice.
6. The return of Hooper. Falcons tight end Austin Hooper, who finished his junior year class load at Stanford last week, returned to the team.
7. Pass rush defensive line. In the first-team nickel, Vic Beasley lined up at left defensive end next to tackle Derrick Shelby, tackle Jonathan Babineaux and right end Adrian Clayborn.
Check back later for more updates from the first day of minicamp.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
PROJECT PASS RUSH
90-MAN ROSTER ANALYSIS -- POSITION BY POSITION
FALCONS' OFFSEASON SPOTLIGHTS