By D. Orlando Ledbetter
FLOWERY BRANCH -- The first regular-season practice is in the books. Here's what we learned today:
1. Injury report: Four Falcons starters did not practice Monday: kicker Matt Bryant (back), linebacker Stephen Nicholas (quadriceps), cornerback Asante Samuel (quadriceps) and wide receiver Roddy White (ankle). The official injury reports are not released until Wednesday, but Smith said all four players would be ready to play Sunday. “They are working well,” Smith said. “We are looking forward to having everybody available for the game on Sunday.” Practice-squad guard Phillipkeith Manley left the field with what appeared to be a left ankle injury and did not return.
2. Renfree on radar: The Falcons could have reached an injury settlement and released rookie quarterback Sean Renfree after he hurt his shoulder during the final exhibition game. Instead the team placed him on injured reserve to keep him as a developmental prospect. “We like Sean a lot in terms of his skill set,” Smith said. “We feel very good about what Sean did for us in the preseason.” The Falcons selected Renfree in the seventh round of the draft out of Duke. In three exhibition games Renfree completed 13 of 25 passes for 84 yards.
3. Backup kicker: With Bryant out, punter Matt Bosher kicked field goals during practice, and quarterback Matt Ryan took on Bosher’s usual duties as the holder.
4. Number change: Linebacker Paul Worrilow changed his uniform number to 55 after wearing 49 during the preseason.
5. Pickups: Linebacker Robert James and guard Jacques McClendon both were claimed off the waiver wire after the Falcons released them Saturday. The Ravens claimed James, and the Jaguars claimed McClendon.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
- Tony Gonzalez used iPad to keep up with camp installs
- GAME STORY: Ravens rally to defeat Falcons 27-23
- Polian says Falcons are 'bona fide Super Bowl contenders'
- 7 questions after the 34-10 loss to Bengals.
- Some Georgia Dome fans irate over NFL's new "bag" policy
- Brian Banks longshot roster-bid to get boost down stretch
UNDRAFTED ROOKIE SPOTLIGHT
TRAINING CAMP DAILY LOG
- Training Camp Day 20: Falcons make HBO 'Hard Knocks' debut tonight
- Training Camp Day 19: Developing OT Lamar Holmes
- Training Camp Day 18: Last day of open practice for the fans
- Training Camp Day 14: Veteran tackle market is thin
- Training Camp Day 13: HBO's Hard Knocks debuts tonight
- Training Camp Day 12: Smith, Lewis are BFFs
- Training Camp Day 10: 5 things we learned at Friday Night Lights
- Training Camp Day 9: Falcons to tackle at Friday Night Lights
- Training Camp Day 8: Free speech is not free
- Training Camp Day 7: Thanks to CBA, players get an off day
- Training Camp Day 6: Julio Jones set to address the media
- Training Camp Day 5: Don't expect the Falcons to give Shawne Merriman a call
- Training Camp Day 4: Roddy White to speak today
- Training Camp Day 3: We'll check in with Osi Umenyiora today
- Training Camp Day 2: The big contract aftermath
- Training Camp Day 1: Falcons set to hit the field shortly
COUNTDOWN TO TRAINING CAMP -- RANKING THE ATLANTA FALCONS' PLAYERS
- No. 25 (tie): PK Matt Bryant and P/KOS Matt Bosher
- No. 24: FB Bradie Ewing
- No. 23: OG Garrett Reynolds
- No. 22: FB/RB Jason Snelling
- No. 21: C Peter Konz
- No. 20: Mike Johnson
- No. 19: RB Jacquizz Rodgers
- No. 18: WR Harry Douglas
- No. 17: DE Kroy Biermann
- No. 16: CB Robert McClain
- No. 15: MLB Akeem Dent
- No. 14: SLB Stephen Nicholas
- No. 13: DT Corey Peters
- No. 12: LG Justin Blalock
- No. 11: DE Osi Umenyiora
- No. 10: RB Steven Jackson
- No. 9: LT Sam Baker
- No. 8: SS William Moore & FS Thomas DeCoud
- No. 7: DT Jonathan Babineaux
- No. 6: WLB Sean Weatherspoon
- No. 5: WR Julio Jones
- No. 4: CB Asante Samuel
- No. 3: WR Roddy White
- No. 2: TE Tony Gonzalez
- No. 1: QB Matt Ryan