The portions of the Georgia Dome that remained standing after the building’s implosion last month will be brought down next week, officials said Wednesday.
A “supplemental implosion” has been scheduled for 1 a.m. Dec. 20 to demolish a long wall on the stadium’s east end and a structure around Gate B on the northwest corner.
The Georgia World Congress Center Authority, which operated the Dome, said the second implosion “has been determined to be the safest method to bring down the remaining infrastructure still standing.”
The GWCCA said these precautions will be taken:
• Traffic will be suspended on Northside Drive from 12:30 a.m. until 1:30 a.m. on Dec. 20. Traffic will be re-routed at Ivan Allen Boulevard and Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard.
• MARTA rail service from Five Points to Vine City will be suspended beginning at 11:30 p.m. on Dec. 19, with bus shuttle service available as an alternative.
• A 450-foot secured “safety zone” will be in effect around the Georgia Dome’s perimeter.
• No public viewing areas will be provided.
Most of the 25-year-old Georgia Dome succumbed to 4,800 pounds of explosives Nov. 20. But the two portions survived because some of the explosives did not detonate.