Wolf-hybrid dog confiscated, heartbroken family fights for pet’s return


A heartbroken family in Colorado is fighting to get their beloved dog returned after he was confiscated by Aurora Animal Control as a wolf-hybrid.

The Abbato family has had their 10-year-old dog named Capone for a decade now, and considesr him a member of their family.

>> Read more trending news 

Capone escaped from their yard on Feb. 24 right into the custody of Animal Control, who refused to allow the dog to return home when the family came to claim him, KDVR TV reported.

Animal officials, believing he’s a wolf-hybrid, ran a DNA test on him and are waiting for the results. Capone could be euthanized or shipped to a sanctuary, depending on the results of the test.

The dog’s owner, Tracy Abbato, said the dog is part German shepherd.

The family has had the dog for 10 years. Animal control won't return him until DNA tests come back. If the tests prove he's a wolf-hybrid, he could be euthanized.

Posted by FOX31 KDVR.com on Sunday, March 12, 2017

“I am 100 percent confident he is not a wolf, not a doubt in my mind,” Abbato told KDVR.

Capone remains in the Aurora Animal Shelter and that’s upsetting the family.

"It's hard for me. It's hard for my kids. He's a family member. We've had him for almost 10 years. We miss him," she said.

The family said they’ve hired a lawyer and plan on asking a judge to allow the dog to return home while they wait for the test results.

Aurora Animal Control claims family dog is wolf hybrid, won't return him to owners until test results come back https://t.co/9i92bAwZzW pic.twitter.com/gM7crXkSeK

— FOX31 Denver KDVR (@KDVR) March 13, 2017


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Amber Alert issued for Texas toddler
Amber Alert issued for Texas toddler

The Texas Department of Public Service has issued an Amber Alert for a 2-year-old boy from San Antonio who may be “in grave or immediate” danger, KXXV reported. The San Antonio Police Department said it was searching for Aaron Joseph Concepcion. The boy is Hispanic, 30 inches tall and weighs 20 pounds. The child has brown hair and...
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse
McConnell rejects Trump's suggestion to use 'nuclear option' to break budget impasse

On day two of the U.S. government shutdown, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republicans would not adopt President Donald Trump’s call for a “nuclear option” to pass a budget with a simple majority, The New York Daily News reported Sunday. “The Republican Conference opposes changing the rules on legislation,&rdquo...
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown
Several congressmen will donate pay during shutdown

Led by Rep. John Delaney of Maryland, several members of Congress asked for their pay to be withheld during the government shutdown, CNN reported. “I don't think it's right for me to get paid during a government shutdown while my constituents are being furloughed and important and necessary services are being limited or halted all together...
Rev. Jesse Jackson sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church addresses government shutdown, border wall, health care
Rev. Jesse Jackson sermon at Ebenezer Baptist Church addresses government shutdown, border wall, health care

The Rev. Jesse Jackson — a confidante of civil rights icon Martin Luther King Jr. and who was with King as he was shot and killed on the balcony the Lorraine Motel in Memphis — preached from King's pulpit during the 11:30 a.m. service Sunday at Ebenezer Baptist Church. The visit came in honor of observing the 50th anniversary...
Firemen: Child igniting paper on space heater starts fire at Orlando apartment complex
Firemen: Child igniting paper on space heater starts fire at Orlando apartment complex

At least 48 people were displaced after a fire at a Florida apartment complex Saturday morning, the Orlando Fire Department said.  Firefighters said no one was injured in the fire that broke out at the Windsor Cove apartments in Orlando around 10 a.m. Fire investigators said a child igniting paper on a space heater caused the blaze....
More Stories