Despite a looming deadline and the Atlanta Falcons beginning a feasibility study on an alternative site, negotiations to buy two churches on a preferred stadium site just south of the Georgia Dome continued late Wednesday without a result.
The story you're reading is premium content from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
AJC Print subscriber - I've already registered my account.Sign In
AJC Print subscriber - I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyAJC.com now - 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyAJC.com all week - 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to AJC for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
COMPARING THE SITES
North site (Ivan Allen Jr. Boulevard at Northside Drive)
- Larger and already state-owned
- More flexibility in positioning stadium
- More potential parking and tail-gating space
- One-half mile hike from MARTA
- Contaminated soil that would have to be addressed and power lines that would have to be relocated
- Strong opposition from neighborhood groups that say site is too close to residences
South site (Martin Luther King Jr. and Northside drives)
- Excellent MARTA access
- Better connectivity to Georgia World Congress Center
- Proximity to proposed downtown multi-modal terminal
- Requires purchasing and razing Friendship Baptist and Mount Vernon Baptist churches
- Requires large infrastructure improvements, including reconfiguring Martin Luther King Jr. Drive
- Closeness to Georgia Dome would complicate construction
Thursday: Self-imposed deadline for stadium planners to reach agreements to acquire Friendship Baptist and Mount Vernon Baptist churches on the preferred stadium site, although the Falcons declared the site “not feasible at this time” Tuesday.
Oct. 1: Deadline for the Falcons to complete a feasibility study of the alternative site a half mile north of the Dome.
Oct. 31: Schematic designs of the stadium are to be completed.