The Affordable Care Act is coming to your mailbox.
The story you're reading is premium content from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
AJC Print subscriber - I've already registered my account.Sign In
AJC Print subscriber - I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
Read MyAJC.com now - 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyAJC.com all week - 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to AJC for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
The Health Insurance Marketplace
Here’s how it works:
- Go to HealthCare.gov and select “start now.” (For Spanish, go to CuidadoDeSalud.gov.)
- You’ll be asked to answer some basic questions about yourself including your age, what state you live in and whether your income falls above or below a certain threshold.
- Read about options that might apply to you, including preventive care benefits, federal tax credits, government health care programs and other information.
- Alternatively, you can call a customer service representative for help at 800-318-2596. Hearing-impaired customers using TTY/TDD technology can dial 855-889-4325.
Know the basics
Most employers are using a standard form from the federal government to inform their employees about the Health Insurance Marketplace. Here are some key points it includes.
- What the Health Insurance Marketplace is
- Whether a worker can save money on premiums through the marketplace
- Whether employer health coverage affects a worker’s eligibility for premium savings
- How to get more information about the marketplace
- Whether an employer’s plan meetings the “minimum value standard” required by the government