Terry Crews sues WME, agent Adam Venit for assault and battery


Terry Crews has officially taken legal action against William Morris Endavor agent Adam Venit.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the actor has filed an assault and battery lawsuit against WME and Venit. The complaint was filed Monday in Los Angeles County Superior Court.

>> Read more trending news

“Venit, upon his first meeting Crews, viciously grabbed Crews’ penis and testicles so hard that it caused Crews immediate pain in a blatant and unprovoked sexual assault,” Crews’s attorney Bryan Sullivan wrote in the suit.

Crews initially came forward publicly with the allegations in a Twitter thread in October. He filed a police report with the Los Angeles Police Department in Nov. 8, according to ABC News.

Related: Terry Crews reveals he was sexually assaulted by ‘Hollywood executive,’ plans to sue

“People have to be held accountable,” he told paparazzi outside the department. When asked if he had plans to sue, he said, “We’re going to go all the way.”

Crews did not name Venit in his tweets on Oct. 10, instead referring to him as “a high level Hollywood executive.”

“Given the history of inaction by WME and the retaliatory actions that have occurred and likely will occur, Crews had no choice (but) to bring this action to protect himself and to stand up for all victims of sexual predators,” Sullivan wrote in the complaint. “After all, if Crews, a 6’4”, muscled, man, former professional athlete, with a long list of entertainment industry credits, can be the victim of sexual assault at the hands of a much more powerful individual in the entertainment industry, anyone can be a victim.”

Related: Terry Crews explains why sexual assault victims don't come forward sooner

Crews fired his WME agent and left the agency in early November. On the 15th of that month, he spoke out about why he decided to come forward in a morning television interview, calling Venit out by name and detailing the alleged assault.

“People need to be held accountable,” he said. “This is the deal about Hollywood. It is an abuse of power. This guy, again, he’s one of the most powerful man in Hollywood, and he looked at me at the end as if, ‘Who is going to believe you?’”

Venit was suspended from WME for 30 days, but returned to a demoted position Nov. 27.

“Someone got a pass,” Crews tweeted in response to the news.

ABC News reported the trial demands a jury and is seeking unspecified damages. 

Crews’s outspokeness has led him to be named among the Silence Breakers, TIME’s Person of the Year. He spoke to the publication about the reception to his story and the role men should play in advocating for women’s rights.

“I’m here to tell you it’s not your fault. It’s not,” Crews said. “What happened to me was a prime example.”


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Florida woman, 81, smashes car into McDonald's: 'Glass flew everywhere'
Florida woman, 81, smashes car into McDonald's: 'Glass flew everywhere'

An 81-year-old woman suffered minor injuries after she lost control of her Toyota Solara and backed into the glass windows of a McDonald’s west of Boynton Beach, Florida, according to the Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office. >> Read more Floridoh! stories The woman will be charged with careless driving, PBSO spokesperson Teri...
12-year-old charged as adult in armed carjacking at Walmart
12-year-old charged as adult in armed carjacking at Walmart

A 12-year-old boy in Lauderdale Lakes has been charged as an adult in a carjacking last week, Broward County Sheriff deputies said Monday.  >> Read more trending news  According to the sheriff’s office, Shaquille Dixon is one of three juveniles who carjacked an elderly woman at gunpoint on Jan. 15 in a Walmart parking lot. ...
Woman who killed two children in murder-suicide had no history of ‘mental problems’
Woman who killed two children in murder-suicide had no history of ‘mental problems’

Dozens of people gathered Sunday night in northwest Charlotte to remember three lives lost. Mourners lit candles and prayed for Isaiah and Iliyah Miller, as well as their mother, Christina Treadway, near their home on Sebastiani Drive. Police said Treadway killed her two children before killing herself along Interstate 485 earlier this month...
Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse
Here’s what the children in the California torture house did to cope with the abuse

Authorities are releasing more information about the California “torture house” where over a dozen children were kept in subhuman conditions by their parents, including that the victims kept journals. >> Read more trending news  Though the children in the home, ages 2 to 29, were only allowed to bathe twice a year and eat...
10-month-old baby drowns after intoxicated mother falls asleep in tub, police say
10-month-old baby drowns after intoxicated mother falls asleep in tub, police say

A 35-year-old Melbourne Beach mother has been arrested in the drowning death of her 10-month-old baby, Brevard County authorities said. >> Read more trending news  Rosa Regina Feeney was arrested Monday and faces charges of aggravated manslaughter of a child and child neglect. Deputies said the investigation began Dec. 6 at Deangelo&rsquo...
More Stories