Keillor: Radio station fired me without full investigation


Garrison Keillor says Minnesota Public Radio was wrong to fire him last week without fully investigating what a senior executive has described as "multiple allegations" spanning an extended period against the former "A Prairie Home Companion" host.

Jon McTaggart, CEO of MPR's parent company American Public Media Group, addressed the issue at an employee meeting Wednesday. McTaggart didn't provide details of the allegations against the 75-year-old veteran broadcaster, saying only that he has shared them with lawyers and board members.

MPR News reporters refused to attend the meeting because its contents had been declared off the record, but they compiled a report based on interviews with colleagues who did.

In a statement Thursday morning, MPR insisted it conducted a proper review. The statement said two people formerly associated with the show alleged "multiple incidents of inappropriate behavior" by Keillor, though only one claimed the behavior was directed at her. The station said it hasn't made additional details public because the two want privacy.

"The allegations were carefully investigated before MPR made the decision to terminate contracts with Mr. Keillor," the statement said.

Keillor announced Nov. 30 that MPR had terminated his contracts after four decades of entertaining public radio listeners with tales of small-town characters. He said he was fired over "a story that I think is more interesting and more complicated than the version MPR heard." Keillor didn't provide details to the Associated Press but later told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that he had put his hand on a woman's bare back as he tried to console her.

Keillor retired as host of "A Prairie Home Companion" in 2016 but had continued to work for MPR on various projects.

McTaggart said Wednesday that no one else in the company knows the content of the "multiple allegations" against Keillor that span an extended period of time.

Keillor told the Associated Press in an email later Wednesday that he was not at the meeting hosted by McTaggart, so he couldn't provide details of what was said. But he expressed disappointment at the company's response to the allegations.

"I expect to deal with MPR soon to try to fix the enormous mistake they have made by not conducting a full and fair investigation," he said.

Keillor's attorney emailed a statement to AP early Thursday stressing that they know of allegations made by "one individual."

"We trust that Mr. McTaggart will set the record straight in this respect to avoid any misperceptions on that point," Eric Nilsson said in the statement.

Keillor said he wants the matter to be resolved quickly and "with it expects a full restoration of his reputation," Nilsson said.

Keillor, 75, told the Minneapolis Star Tribune he plans to go to Mayo Clinic next week for a pacemaker implant because he was having heart problems. ""Pretty routine but still serious," wrote Keillor, who underwent surgery to repair a heart valve at Mayo in 2001. "I'm fine."

"A Prairie Home Companion" continues with Keillor's hand-picked successor, mandolinist Chris Thile.

___

Follow Jeff Baenen on Twitter at https://twitter.com/jeffbaenen . Find more of his work at https://apnews.com/search/jeff%20baenen

___

Sign up for the AP's weekly newsletter showcasing our best reporting from the Midwest and Texas: http://apne.ws/2u1RMfv


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Nation & World

Former ‘Today’ show staffer details her alleged affair with Matt Lauer
Former ‘Today’ show staffer details her alleged affair with Matt Lauer

A former intern at the “Today” show has come forward about her alleged monthlong affair with disgraced NBC host Matt Lauer back in the early 2000s. >> Read more trending news  According to Addie Zinone, whose story was published in Variety on Thursday, her consensual relationship with Lauer began when he was in his...
Grandmother who killed man in pet spa acted in self-defense, DA says
Grandmother who killed man in pet spa acted in self-defense, DA says

The Cabarrus County District Attorney’s Office announced Friday that it would not file charges against a woman who shot and killed a man inside the pet spa she owns in Concord. The district attorney’s report said Sarah Shoe shot and killed DeShawn Tatem after he forcefully and unlawfully entered Sarah’s Pet Spa on Winecoff School...
Mario Batali officially fired from ‘The Chew’ following sexual harassment allegations
Mario Batali officially fired from ‘The Chew’ following sexual harassment allegations

Chef Mario Batali has officially been fired from the daytime cooking show “The Chew” after multiple allegations of sexual harassment. On Monday, Batali stepped down as a co-host of the show after multiple women anonymously told Eater New York that Batali had sexually harassed them. >> Read more trending news  Variety...
Surgeon admits burning initials into patients’ livers with laser
Surgeon admits burning initials into patients’ livers with laser

A British transplant surgeon has admitted that he assaulted two of his patients by burning his own initials into their livers during surgery.  The BBC reported that Simon Bramhall pleaded guilty to charges of assault by beating at the Birmingham, England, Crown Court and will be sentenced on Jan. 12. As part of a plea deal, he also denied a more...
Driver accused in Charlottesville rally car attack faces upgraded murder charge
Driver accused in Charlottesville rally car attack faces upgraded murder charge

A man accused in August of ramming a car into counterprotesters at a white nationalist rally in Charlottesville, killing one person and injuring several others, is facing an upgraded charge of first-degree murder, according to multiple reports. Authorities arrested James Alex Fields Jr., 20, on multiple charges after the Aug. 12 attack left Heather...
More Stories