KSU cheerleaders kept off field after some knelt during national anthem


Some cheerleaders took a knee during the Sept. 30 pregame.

A week later, the squad was kept off the field during the national anthem.

KSU says the change was not influenced by the kneeling. 

A week after a handful of Kennesaw State University cheerleaders took a knee during the national anthem, the squad didn’t take the field at all during pregame activities. 

At Saturday night’s football game, the cheerleaders instead stayed off the field at the stadium.

Mike DeGeorge, the assistant athletic director for communications and broadcasting, said the students’ choice of protest wasn’t part of the decision. 

“We are always looking for ways to improve the fan experience,” he said. “As the season unfolds, we have made several changes including a better introduction of the mascot and cheerleaders to match what we do for the band.

RELATED: Cam Newton on Colin Kaepernick’s protests: ‘He made the ultimate sacrifice’

However, State Rep. Earl Ehrhart, R-Powder Springs, told local media last week that a directive to keep the squad off the field likely could come from KSU President Sam Olens. The comments came after Cobb County Sheriff Neil Warren was reported taking note of cheerleaders’ taking a knee at the Sept. 30 game between KSU and North Greenville. 

Warren and Olens did not immediately respond to requests for comment by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

More than a year ago, NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick began protesting police brutality against minorities by kneeling silently during the national anthem. Even in the wake of critics’ saying that his action disrespected the U.S., more athletes — on pro, college and high school teams — have been sitting, kneeling, locking arms or remaining in locker rooms during the anthem. President Donald Trump weighed in last month to say NFL players should stand for the national anthem or be fired for their defiance.

Davante Lewis, who said his sister is one of the cheerleaders who took a knee, said despite Twitter chatter, the cheerleaders were not harassed at their homes after the game, but they feel threatened after the sheriff’s public comments. 

Lewis told the AJC a deputy appeared at one of the cheerleaders’ homes a few weeks ago, which the AJC has not confirmed, and because of that incident, they are all more fearful now that Warren has voiced his opinion.

“The county sheriff has been vocal about how the cheerleaders’ actions were disrespectful and their fear is exacerbated now,” Lewis said.

MORE: Parents angry at Cobb school about Civil War dress-up day

Tammy Demel, a spokeswoman for the university, said KSU “believes that it is important to honor the national anthem. It is equally as important to respect the rights of individuals as protected under the First Amendment.”

In other news:

Next Up in Local

Four-legged 'Santa' a savior during Battle of the Bulge
Four-legged 'Santa' a savior during Battle of the Bulge

Tucked between dollar bills, nestled next to a black-and-white photograph of his wife Gloria, Stan Saltz pulls out a second snapshot, the one of him as a 19-year-old Army private and survivor of the bloodiest battle in the second World War. But the photo isn’t about the Florida resident. It’s about the German shepherd, a four-legged...
Power restored at Atlanta’s airport
Power restored at Atlanta’s airport

The crowd in the atrium at Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport erupted with cheers when power came on after a 10-hour outage. The airport atrium, Concourses T, A, and B and terminals were passengers check in and retrieve baggage powered up at roughly 11:20 p.m. Concourse F had been brought back online earlier in the evening. Mayor Kasim Reed...
Airport scenes: Those caught in the power outage
Airport scenes: Those caught in the power outage

Rick and Tammy Horton had spent 10 days in Georgia celebrating Tammy’s 60th birthday. First, there was a snowy weekend in the mountains. Then, they traveled to Tybee Island and Savannah. On Sunday, they were supposed to fly to Minneapolis so they could drive back to home. That was before the world’s busiest airport came to a standstill...
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed apologizes for airport power outage
Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed apologizes for airport power outage

Mayor Kasim Reed started off an evening news conference with an apology. “First and most importantly, I was to express my sincere apologies to the thousands of passengers whose day has been disrupted in this manner,” he said. “We certainly understand that the outage has caused frustration and anger, and we’re doing everything...
Here’s what we know about the Atlanta airport outage
Here’s what we know about the Atlanta airport outage

The cause of the fire that knocked out power to the world’s busiest airport still isn’t known, but Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed offered the city’s apologies to stranded passengers at a Sunday night press conference.    Reed and Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport General Manager Roosevelt Council said crews are working...
More Stories