Graduating seniors from nine Gwinnett County high schools have been named National Merit Scholars, Gwinnett County Public Schools said.
Along with the prestigious distinction, each of the students receives a $2,500 scholarship that can be used to further their education. The students plan to pursue careers in fields including mechanical engineering, law, medicine and economics.
These students were chosen from a nationwide applicant pool of 15,000 semifinalists by a committee of college admissions officers and high school counselors. They were evaluated on their academic performance, standardized test scores, leadership in school and their community, recommendation letters and an essay.
The students recognized are:
- Karl Dirac Sahadeo Patram, Brookwood High School
- Qasim A. Hassan, Central Gwinnett High School
- Paul V. Dittamo, Dacula High School
- Satya A. Jella, Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Khalil Sayid, Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Sabarish Sainathan, Gwinnett School of Mathematics, Science and Technology
- Victoria C. Fonzi, North Gwinnett High School
- Kiara L. Harding, Parkview High School
- Mohammad A. Makhmudov, Parkview High School
In other news: