You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myAJC.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myAJC.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myAJC.com.

Downtown businesses reopen, MARTA service resumes after investigation


Highlights

Utility workers spotted a suitcase with wires in it and called police.

Multiple businesses were evacuated and MARTA rail service was delayed.

Police have not disclosed what was inside the suitcase.

Police have not disclosed what was inside the suitcase.

Atlanta police gave the all-clear after a suspicious package investigation led to evacuations in downtown Atlanta and delays on MARTA trains.

Officers responded to 2 Peachtree St. after utility workers spotted a suitcase under a parking deck and called police about 10:15 a.m. Friday, Atlanta police Sgt. Warren Pickard.

SWAT was called to the scene and businesses were evacuated as a precaution because wires in the suitcase were “alarming,” he said.

Underground Atlanta and the Five Points MARTA station were among the businesses evacuated. Trains were not allowed in or out of the station. Service on the transit agency’s north-south and east-west rail lines was delayed. And Peachtree Street was closed between Decatur and Alabama streets, according to Channel 2 Action News. 

Just after 1:30 p.m., officials determined the contents in the suitcase were not harmful and normal operations resumed on MARTA. 

Pickard said suspicious package investigations can be a strain on resources.

“We stress all the time do not leave packages unsecured or left out in the open because people will call,” he said.

Police have not disclosed what was inside the suitcase.

“We are thrilled that it was not an actual (harmful) device,” Pickard said.

In other news:



Next Up in Local

Mom, 86, escapes barricaded room, smelling of urine; couple charged
Mom, 86, escapes barricaded room, smelling of urine; couple charged

Bong Le was wrapped in a blanket and smelled of urine when officers found her under a tree not far from her home Wednesday evening, police said.  Just hours later, her daughter, Katie Son, and son-in-law, Christopher Huynh, were charged with elder abuse.  Gwinnett police were called to the 3500 block of Rosecliff Trace in Buford after neighbors...
Grandfather gives for gift 2,000 letters written since grad’s birth
Grandfather gives for gift 2,000 letters written since grad’s birth

A Gwinnett County high school student received a present Friday that has been nearly 18 years in the making. John Eades started writing letters to his granddaughter the moment he saw his wife hold her, Channel 2 Action News reported. The first letter was written the day Victoria was born, he said, and now there are nearly 2,000. “I don&rsquo...
Medicine mix-up leads local mayor to police confrontation
Medicine mix-up leads local mayor to police confrontation

A local mayor said he failed to read a warning on his prescription medication and suffered a bad reaction after drinking alcohol. That reaction disoriented Forest Park Mayor David Lockhart, who tried to get into a vacant house next door to his when his nephew dropped him off after dinner, Channel 2 Action News reported.  Lockhart told Channel...
Fired firefighters sue Cherokee County for $2 million
Fired firefighters sue Cherokee County for $2 million

Two Cherokee County firefighters who were fired last year are suing the county for no less than $2 million, according to a recently filed lawsuit. Former captains Chuck Foster and Mike Malone were employed with Cherokee County for 21 and 26 years, respectively. Last year, they were part of an investigation that began in October into allegations...
Woman accused of leaving paralyzed man in the middle of the street
Woman accused of leaving paralyzed man in the middle of the street

It’s not clear why Sandra Keith allegedly removed Lamont Peterson from her car.  The two were in Keith’s car about 1:30 a.m. Friday when she removed the physically disabled man and left him in the middle of Summit Lane in Riverdale, Channel 2 Action News reported. Peterson is paralyzed from the waist down.  If you ask Peterson...
More Stories