The City of Kennesaw will soon be shifting the schedule for its new splash pad at Swift-Cantrell Park to weekends only for the rest of summer.
Kennesaw expects demand to drop when children head back to school, said city spokeswoman Pam Davis. The shift will take place on July 31 — the earliest Cobb schools have ever started.
The adjustment will run until the splash pad closes for the season on Sept. 3, the day before Labor Day.
As of July 25, more than 12,000 had paid their $2 to head into the splash pad area, Davis said.
She said the city will evaluate attendance numbers to determine its schedule going forward.
The splash pad will be open at the park, 3140 Old 41 Highway NW, between 10 a.m and 7 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays, weather permitting.
Children younger than 12 must have adult supervision inside the 3,200-square-foot low-water amenity. It costs $2 for people older than age 2; cash and credit cards are accepted.
- Wear swimsuits “and/or appropriate attire,” which isn’t defined further, other than: “No blue jeans.”
- Thunder and lightning mean everyone out of the splash pad.
- Footwear/sandals are strongly recommended. Street shoes are not allowed.
- No running, rough play, horseplay and “undue disturbance” is allowed.
- Don’t beat up the equipment or “sit (on), stand (on), cover or block” any of the jets.
- Children who aren’t toilet-trained have to wear swim diapers and the city reminds you that “regular diaper changing should occur.”
- There’ll be no eating or drinking, especially the water coming from the splash pad. And keep the easy-to-shatter stuff like glass at home.
- No alcohol or tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, are allowed.
- People with contagious health conditions, should treat this like you would a public pool.
- People are prohibited from using the splash pad as a “bathing facility.”
- Don’t bring any balls, bats, beach balls, noodles, or inflatable toys.
- Skateboards, roller blades, bicycles, scooters or anything on wheels are not allowed.
- Pets are also not allowed.
In other news: