You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myAJC.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myAJC.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myAJC.com.

Bill for I-85 bridge collapse still rising


The cost of the I-85 bridge collapse continues to rise as Georgia tallies indirect costs associated with the closure of one of the main highways into the heart of Atlanta.

Georgia transportation officials told state lawmakers Tuesday they will ask the federal government to pay millions of dollars more for an expansion of MARTA service and other expenses related to the March bridge collapse. Those expenses are in addition to the construction costs for the new bridge, which could be as much as $16.6 million.

UP-DATE: I-85 bridge to reopen by May 26

YOUR STORY: Do you commute an hour or more for work? Tell us.

Georgia Department of Transportation Chief Engineer Meg Pirkle said the final tab for the associated costs is not yet available. But she said it would be in the millions of dollars — and the federal government is expected to pay the entire amount. The U.S. Department of Transportation has already paid $10 million toward the cost of building the new bridge.

“We know we’re going to need more than $10 million, and we’ll be requesting that from the Federal Highway Administration,” Pirkle told the state House of Representatives Transportation Committee Tuesday.

A section of I-85 went up in flames March 30 after a fire allegedly started by a homeless man spread to construction material GDOT stored beneath the bridge.

IN-DEPTH: Who’s to blame for Atlanta bridge collapse?

The construction-related costs for rebuilding it include $11.9 million to build the new bridge, $1.6 million for demolition of the old one and up to $3.1 million in incentives for contractor C.W. Matthews to complete the work before June 15. The U.S. Department of Transportation is expected to pay 90 percent of the construction cost.

Pirkle told lawmakers the federal government would pay 100 percent of the cost of the emergency response to the bridge collapse. It’s a broad category of expenditures that includes expanded transit service, employee overtime and traffic control — even the cost of detour signs.

GDOT Commissioner Russell McMurry told lawmakers the state has 180 days to submit the costs to the federal government.

Meanwhile, construction continues on the new bridge. Last week, McMurry said the project will be finished before May 26. But McMurry and Gov. Nathan Deal have scheduled a news conference for Wednesday morning and may provide an updated schedule.



Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

At Issue: Is closing Peachtree-Pine shelter solution for homelessness?
At Issue: Is closing Peachtree-Pine shelter solution for homelessness?

The Atlanta City Council approved funding for a plan to curb homelessness in the inner city. A $26 million bond for housing, shelter space and other resources to help the homeless population will be added to $25 million already promised by the United Way. About $7.6 million in funding from the Homeless Oppportunity bond will be used for the acquisition...
'Armed, dangerous’ shooting suspect ID’d; bloody note left near scene
'Armed, dangerous’ shooting suspect ID’d; bloody note left near scene

A 30-year-old man was shot in the face and a 14-year-old boy was shot in the back just outside Snellville city limits Thursday morning, Gwinnett County police said. The 30-year-old victim, Andre Devost, was flown to Grady Memorial Hospital after he and the 14-year-old were driven to Eastside Medical Center in a private vehicle. Both are expected to...
Massage therapist allegedly molested child at Gwinnett home
Massage therapist allegedly molested child at Gwinnett home

A massage therapist allegedly assaulted an 11-year-old boy during a session at the man’s Lilburn home, according to a police report.  Marco Hernandez, 49,  remained in the Gwinnett County Detention Center on a $5,700 bond on child molestation, sodomy and giving false name or information charges in the alleged July 8 sexual assault,...
07/21 Mike Luckovich: Arrested development.
07/21 Mike Luckovich: Arrested development.

Invest Atlanta to ethics board: we earned “free” Mercedes-Benz tickets
Invest Atlanta to ethics board: we earned “free” Mercedes-Benz tickets

Invest Atlanta, the city’s economic arm, will have to wait to know if it can get its hands on “free” tickets it says the city already paid $220 million for at the new Mercedes-Benz Stadium. The city’s ethics board on Thursday delayed a decision on Invest Atlanta’s request to overturn a 2013 rule that prohibits city employees...
More Stories