An inauguration gala planned in honor of Cobb chairman-elect Mike Boyce has been cancelled amid concerns over transparency.
The event, hosted by Joe Profit, a former Atlanta Falcon turned local businessman, was billed as a celebration of Boyce and a fundraiser for his transition.
But, as The Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported last week, the primary beneficiary of the gala appeared to be the charity of which Profit is president.
“The feedback from my supporters clearly suggested that the Gala as planned did not meet our transparency standard,” Boyce said in the statement.
Boyce had previously said he had no role in the gala, but planned to attend as a guest.
His swearing in ceremony is scheduled for December 30 at the Jennie T. Anderson Theatre at the Cobb Civic Center.
Profit said he and Boyce jointly decided to cancel the event due to time constraints and “misconceptions” about the event. He said he did not understand the concerns over transparency.
“Transparency itself has its own definition,” he said. “That’s all I’m going to say about that.”
Tom Cheek, a Cobb resident and vocal supporter of Boyce, said he grew worried when it was not immediately clear where the money raised by the event would end up. Cheek said the fallout and cancellation of the gala did not negatively affect his opinion of Boyce’s leadership skills.
“Mike was faced with a difficult decision and he didn’t panic, he took his time, consulted with his trusted advisors and came to a logical decision,” Cheek said. “I think he trusted a good friend of his and just didn’t know what the goals of the organizers were.”