You have reached your limit of free articles this month.

Enjoy unlimited access to myAJC.com

Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks.

GREAT REASONS TO SUBSCRIBE TODAY!

  • IN-DEPTH REPORTING
  • INTERACTIVE STORYTELLING
  • NEW TOPICS & COVERAGE
  • ePAPER
X

You have read of premium articles.

Get unlimited access to all of our breaking news, in-depth coverage and bonus content- exclusively for subscribers. Starting at just 99¢ for 8 weeks

X

Welcome to myAJC.com

This subscriber-only site gives you exclusive access to breaking news, in-depth coverage, exclusive interactives and bonus content.

You can read free articles of your choice a month that are only available on myAJC.com.

DeKalb 2017 budget relies on deficit spending


DeKalb’s government will spend $93 million more than it takes in this year, according to the county’s proposed budget.

“The economy is up and these aren’t recessionary times, but we're using reserves for everyday expenses,” said DeKalb Commissioner Nancy Jester, the chairwoman of the Finance, Audit & Budget Committee.

The county’s deficit spending figure drops to $53 million after excluding one-time costs for vehicle replacement and watershed projects. About $25 million of the deficit is in tax-funded operations that elected officials have the most control over.

Commissioners said at a budget committee meeting last week the county needs to adjust its spending and services.

“This doesn’t look like a sustainable budget,” said Commissioner Jeff Rader.

Despite the deficit, DeKalb’s budget will still balance by using some of its reserve funds. 

The budget calls for the county’s tax funds to finish 2017 with $33 million in savings, which is $17 million short of the county’s goal of having one month’s worth of operating funds in reserve.

DeKalb’s budget is strained by $17.2 million for employee pay raises approved last year, $10.8 million for Traffic Court, property tax exemptions and the recent incorporations of several new cities.

Overall, the county’s $1.3 billion proposed 2017 budget is 5 percent smaller than last year’s.

The DeKalb Commission is reviewing CEO Mike Thurmond’s recommended budget before voting on it at the end of this month.


Reader Comments ...


Next Up in Local

Give Back Connection for May 27
Give Back Connection for May 27

Ogeechee Riverkeeper seeks watershed monitors One of the most important roles for supporters of the Ogeechee Riverkeeper is to be extra eyes on the rivers and streams in the Ogeechee watershed. The organization is looking for people to go to that next level? The Ogeechee Riverkeeper is seeking volunteers throughout the watershed to get trained through...
Cops: 2 deadly overdoses within hour in same Gwinnett neighborhood
Cops: 2 deadly overdoses within hour in same Gwinnett neighborhood

Gwinnett County police are investigating two fatal drug overdoses that occurred within an hour of each other in the same Lawrenceville neighborhood. At 6:09 a.m. Friday, officers responded to a home on Turtle Creek Way. A  911 caller had reported an unresponsive young man. They found the man, who was later pronounced dead, in the home. ...
Atlanta man sentenced for killing man in fight over smoking in home
Atlanta man sentenced for killing man in fight over smoking in home

An Atlanta man charged with murder twice in two years has been found guilty of a lesser crime in the first case, Fulton County officials announced Friday. Dontavis Montgomery, 21, stabbed Nicholas Roberts in the back during a fistfight in January 2015, according to a news release from the district attorney’s office. He was found guilty...
Mom: Boy, 9, catches DeKalb substitute teacher watching porn in class
Mom: Boy, 9, catches DeKalb substitute teacher watching porn in class

A DeKalb County substitute teacher has been fired after a mother said her son caught the man watching pornography in class. The sub, who hasn’t been identified by officials, was at his desk in front of students at Montgomery Elementary when the boy walked up, the mother told Brookhaven police. She said her son told her the teacher wasn&rsquo...
Up to $10K offered in search for teens accused of setting off fireworks inside Publix
Up to $10K offered in search for teens accused of setting off fireworks inside Publix

Police are offering up to $10,000 in the search for two teenagers accused of setting off fireworks inside a Publix grocery store in southwest Atlanta, according to Channel 2 Action News. <div></div><br><blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">PLEASE SHARE: Wanted for Arson...
More Stories