It’s the call no parent wants to get.
The story you’re reading is premium content from The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Subscribers get total access to all our in-depth news, digital editions and exclusive premium content. You can now also buy a 24-hour digital pass or 7-day digital pass.
Read MyAJC.com now — 24-hour digital pass99¢ for 24-hours
Read MyAJC.com all week — 7-day digital pass$3.99 for 7-days
Subscribe to AJC for as little as 33¢ per dayView Offers
AJC Print subscriber — I need to register my account for digital access.Access Digital
AJC Print subscriber — I’ve already registered my account.Sign In
Here are some running safety tips from members of the Atlanta Track Club:
- Wear reflective and lighted gear at all times, even in the daylight hours.
- Always run against traffic.
- If you listen to music or talk radio, listen with only one earbud.
- Wear an ID bracelet with emergency contact information.
- Run with your phone and consider an having a one-click emergency app at the ready or an app like Find My iPhone where someone knows, and can track your route.
- Keep pepper spray on your belt or wrist to ward off attackers, aggressive dogs and even coyotes, which are becoming more prevalent in the metro area.
- If you get a feeling that a particular area is too dangerous for your run, plan another route.